Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Friday, July 21, 2023

Summer Books

I've tried to do a fair amount of reading this summer as I take advantage of a time in which I am free after work (no lesson planning, etc.) and am not currently taking doctoral classes (those will start up again in August). We've made lots of trips to the library and I've also read some books of Aaron's. 


After reading one of Shay's recent posts about Nantucket, she mentioned starting with The Identicals by Elin Hilderbrand if someone hasn't yet read one of Hilderbrand's numerous novels. I read this one over the course of a couple weeks. It was an interesting read and it did keep me guessing until the very end. I think I'd read a few more Hilderbrand books to see how differently of a story she can create. Sometimes authors who focus their work in only a few locations seem to run the same story lines, but I'll give it a whirl. (namethatmovie)


Aaron and I had a deal where if I would read the two Jack Carr novels that he had, then Aaron would watch the entire Downton Abbey series with me. Challenge accepted. Full disclosure, I liked the books and he liked the series. :) The other deal was if I read the third book, Savage Son, then he'd watch the two Downton movies. We misplaced the third book, but he watched the movies with me anyway. We recently found the book, so now I have something to read next week. 


I'm working my way through this set of three books right now: Whiskey in a Teacup, Have I Told You This Already?, and The Office BFFs


I read Lauren Graham's book Talking As Fast As I Can about her time on Gilmore Girls, and was pleased to see that the library carried Have I Told You This Already?, a book of essays about her life in general. Her novel, Someday, Someday Maybe is still one of my favorite reads and I wish I knew where I stashed my copy when we moved. 


I look forward to reading this book since it's about Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey's time on the TV show, "The Office"-- one of my and Aaron's favorite shows of all time. I read a couple pages of it as soon as I got it, and it seems like it will be filled with behind-the-scenes tidbits and pictures, etc. It should be really fun! 


I finished this sweet Southern how-to book by Reese Witherspoon and it was fun and charming. She includes lots of photos, which I always love, and there's just something inspiring and peaceful about a book that covers home decor tips, recipes, and anecdotes and this book delivers on all three. The only thing I'd take out would be the chart on how to pronounce things in a Southern way. Most of those were a little far fetched for me, someone who actually lives in the Deep South and hears people speak in this accent on the daily. Other than that, it's a really cute and beautiful book that could be used as a great coffee table book and reference point for a Southern themed dinner party. 



I'll keep you posted on how Savage Son and The Office BFFs turn out!


Until Next Time, 

Much Love, Reba


No comments:

Post a Comment