Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Gift Guide: 5-7 Year Old Boys

I'm enjoying the ages my sons are, where they get joy out of writing (or dictating) their own Christmas lists. I know that they probably wont always find it easy to come up with things to ask for, so it's fun for me as the parent to see just a piece of their imaginations and dreams of what they could do with the things they request. We tell our kids that they can put anything on their list and that they'll get some of the things on it. I'll include some items that they actually put on their lists and I'll also mention things they've received in the past that might not have been on their lists but that they ended up really liking! I'll also add in some things I hope to include this year.

5 year old: He's very into municipal vehicles and has kind of kept that running theme for a couple of years.

Sidewalk cop police car (this is in reference to a show, I think and I'm guessing it's kind of like those "power wheels" ride-on cars. We did not purchase this.)

Bus with yellow lights and red lights (harder to find than you may think. It's very important to read reviews on items like these if you are buying online. After reading reviews about certain versions of this, we chose to go with one we found at Wal-Mart that we could actually test.)

Firetruck toy (He told us he didn't have a specific style or size in mind for this which made it easy.  We went pretty big so that he could play in tandem with garbage trucks he'd received in the past.)

Ambulance toy (This is also an item I recommend trying to find in a store. We lucked out at Wal-Mart again for this one!)

Bike. (None of my kiddos have bikes. This is the first year someone has asked for one. I'm going back and forth with whether I should get one or not but if I do, I'd choose one with optional training wheels from Academy.)



7 year old: He is our inside toy kid and would prefer to play any type of game or read than to have structured outside activities. When he's playing outside, he absolutely prefers free imaginative play (usually meaning he takes stuffed animals outside or creates make believe games with his brother).


Pokemon sword game and Pokemon shield game: These are two separate new video games (he won't be getting both but could use Christmas money if he wanted) and I'm not even sure which game system they're for (Switch, DS, Wii-U).

Pokemon battle royale for Wii-U- yet another game. Again, he can use Christmas money for this if he really wants to.

Pokemon sword and shield cards elite pack and the Mewtwo card pack - These are for two separate Pokemon card packs. He likes looking through all the various characters included in each set. At the moment, he doesn't do much beyond admire the cards and sometimes play a modified version of the cards with us. He does draw his own comics and sometimes uses these cards as reference points. These two packs he mentioned are specialized versions which cost a bit more, but the smaller packs (near check out lanes) are just as fun and are about $5 per pack (includes about 10-20 cards).

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon 3DS & Switch - and another game. He likes the Nintendo Land version of Luigi's Ghost Mansion and likes to play that with us. I'm not too wild about having a second version of the game, so we're skipping this one. But it's certainly a popular item for boys this year.

Tanuki Luigi toy- These themed stuffed animals are a real treasure to him and he constantly plays with the ones he has.  He asked for this different character and I'm not beyond getting this or passing the word on to Santa.

Dr mario toy- This is a plastic toy that I've discovered is very hard to find. But again, it's a toy he would use in imaginative play which is a plus.

Minecraft Encyclopedia- He loves reading his Mario and Pokemon encyclopedias so I know this will be a hit!

Minecraft Activity Book- This includes lots of activities to do, which enables him to be doing something related to a favorite video game while not actually being a game itself which is nice! It includes word searches, coloring pages, word scrambles, hints for higher levels, etc.

Hot Wheels toys and loop-de-loop tracks-  Bonus if the cars are themed! They make lots of Mario themed versions.


Hopefully if you have a 5 year old or 7 year old to shop for, this list might offer some hints for popular items for this young crowd!

Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment