Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Monday, November 13, 2023

Homemade Chicken Broth

Lately in my house, the Crockpot is the real MVP. Last week, we used the Crockpot four times for meals, and on Saturday I used it to make chicken broth! 

I buy chicken broth on a fairly regular basis and had never ventured to make my own. However, I heard my mom say she uses the bones from a rotisserie chicken to make broth and I thought that was such a great idea! I had a rotisserie chicken that I used as the meat for poppyseed chicken casserole on Friday, and I was careful to keep the bones and carcass for making broth. 

On Saturday afternoon, I put the chicken bones & carcass in the Crockpot and added two beef boullion cubes. I covered the chicken with 6 cups of water and turned the heat to low for 4 hours. After time was up, I let the broth cool a bit. 

I used a mesh strainer, a stainless steel funnel, and a pot to navigate the movement of chicken pieces from the Crockpot. I was able to fill two 16 ounces Mason jars and part of a takeout container. I let those cool on the counter before adding the lids. I am pretty pumped to get 5 cups of broth! I stuck one jar in the fridge and the other two containers in the freezer. This was so super easy that I'll definitely do it again. 




Until Next Time,

Much Love, Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment