Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

38 Weeks


Finally, we are at the 38 week mark!  :)  Thursday marked our 38th week of pregnancy and as I write this blog on Saturday morning, that means we have less than 2 weeks to go!  Can I get a woop woop over here?!?!  The Petersen house is bursting with anticipation for our little one’s arrival! :)
 

On Thursday we had a doctor appointment.  Michael was putting on a kicking extravaganza, and all of his movements caused his heart-rate to be 156!  He was a busy little guy!  We did not have an ultrasound at this appointment and I do not expect to have another one during this pregnancy.  The doctor pressed on my tummy and could estimate Michael’s growth over the past week.  Michael must be leveling out his weight gain (which some babies do), because the doctor said Michael is not too big and not too small.  Meaning, there is not a reason for me to have a “medically necessary” C-section at this point.   

To this mommy-to-be, the appointment was fun, but it came with a little discouragement and frustration.  Last week, there was so much talk of “discussing our options” this week, and that I could go into labor at any day.  I took it to mean that we could possibly have our baby already.  Now, it seemed like we might actually make it to the due date.  Did I have a crying spell that night? Totally.  But my sweet husband reminded me that the race isn’t over yet.  We’re only at week 38—it’s not like we’re overdue.  He reminded me that we still have plenty of time left to have Michael.  I’ve got one sweet husband, folks.

Aaron’s encouragement helped me get through the night.  But overall, this past work week was tough.  Every day I was asked when I was due, or why haven’t I had the baby yet, or “You’re still here.”  It was hard to smile back at each individual and say “I’m due the 30th, but the baby could come at any time”, “I haven’t had the baby yet because he must not be ready,” and “Yes, I’m still here.”  I felt like a side-show in the circus:  “Come see the amazing pregnant lady who can’t seem to have her kid! Come one, come all!”  It wasn’t until after I talked to my mom and shared my souped-up pregnancy-hormone feelings that she guided me to another way of thinking.  This is what she said “All those people care about you and feel a part of the support.  Babies are exciting and coworkers seldom get to watch the whole pregnancy develop.”   I’ve got a sweet mom.   So, from now on, I’m going to look at each day as a surprise.  If I make it to the end of the day without going into labor, then it just means I’m one day closer to getting to the day when I will go into labor!

Each day is like Christmas Eve.  One day I’m going to wake up and I’m going to have this wonderful gift.  Until then, I get to dream about when that day is going to get here.  It’s a blessing to know that Aaron and I feel ready.  We eagerly await the arrival of our sweet little boy.  I am cherishing the feeling of Michael’s movements throughout the day, and I’m remembering that this is the easiest time of Aaron’s and my journey of parenthood.  Michael goes where we want to go, he eats when I eat, goes to bed when I do, wakes up when I do, and he isn’t needing his diaper or his outfit changed.  Yes, I am anxiously awaiting his arrival.  But I am trying to enjoy these first experiences of parenthood—this bonding that Michael and I have been able to acquire over these last 38 weeks.  I’m his mommy and he’s my little boy.  It’s a very sweet relationship that has started here inside of me and will continue to grow through the years after Michael’s arrival. 

Michael has a very anxious dad who is patiently waiting to hold his little boy.  Aaron’s facial expressions are so wonderful when he places his hand on my belly and Michael gives him a kick or a finger flick (when Michael grabs his foot, then flings his fingers off of it as we saw in the ultrasound).  Aaron’s face lights up and then he sighs a deep sigh.  He is one ready dad-to-be.  :)

As we are in this holding pattern of waiting, it’s not to say that we haven’t tried things to speed up the process.  I’ve eaten pineapple, which I’ve been told could help.  I walk a mile everyday with my friend, and walking is one of the best things to do.  Aaron has given me calf-massages, which I’ve also been told could help.  I’ve looked for raspberry leaf tea to no avail—apparently it’s supposed to help, but not if I can’t find it.  I’ve eaten spicy food, like the spicy Chick-fil-A wrap:




And, alas, at this last doctor appointment, he said I am in the same place as I was last week—nowhere.  No progress has been made on the road to labor, except that I’m one week further along which means we are a week closer to being in labor.  The doctor said “Now, you could go home and sneeze and go into labor.  It still could happen at any time.”  The nurse added “But don’t go home and try to inhale a bunch of black pepper.”  Duly noted.  So, we are waiting.  Waiting, waiting, waiting. And I encourage myself by remembering that God knows exactly when Michael will be born.  So, as I wait, I have been given this opportunity to trust in His timing. 

This week, the belly pictures are in front of Michael’s cradle in our bedroom!  Aaron wanted to take a front picture and a back picture to show that you can hardly tell I’m pregnant from the back.







This Week:
-Michael’s fingernails have grown over his fingertips now.
-His intestines have accumulated the first baby bowel movement, called Meconium.  When Michael has this sticky, tar-like bowel movement after birth, I think it might be a good time for Aaron to get in some diaper-changing practice, don’t you? :)
-Michael’s lungs continue to mature, and this is so important!
-Each day, Little Michael’s brain and nerve function work better and better.
-Little Baby P. at least weighs 7lbs. 3oz as we determined from the ultrasound last week.  He is probably 19 or 20 inches long, which is the size of a pumpkin!

(Photo credit: illinois.edu)

I love pumpkins and am looking forward to my maternity leave which will spill over into the beginning of fall—my favorite season! It will be fun to rock in the rocking chair while holding a cute little baby wrapped up in a blanket on a cool fall morning.  Can you tell we’re ready? :)

My Craves:
-I hate to admit that I am craving sweets, sweets, sweets.  Whether these are things I make myself (like blonde brownies or funfetti cake mix cookies), or buy (like milkshakes), I am trying to curb this craving. 
-Plums and nectarines.  I did buy some of these in the store last week, but next time I’ll know to buy enough to get me through the whole week and not just four days.  Fresh fruit is nice to have in the fridge, and does a good job of curbing my artificial sweets craving.
-Broccoli.  Steamed is best, but I’ll take it how I can get it whether it’s in broccoli and cheese, or broccoli cheese and rice, or broccoli potato and herb sauce. 

Thanks for catching up with us this week!  We know we get closer each day to meeting Michael! :) Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment