Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic kindergartner, my spunky pre-schooler, my newborn baby girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Maryland Trip

**Thank you for checking the blog and reading this post!  I know I've been AWOL for a while and I'll write a post about that soon.  And I promise it won't take me a month to do so!  :) **

Yay!  For the first time since we had kiddos, Aaron and I were able to go on an adults-only vacation!

On Tuesday, the 9th, we dropped off our boys around 6:30am with my mother-in-law, and we hit the road!  My mother-in-law and my mom each took turns watching our boys during the week until Aaron and I returned on Saturday evening.

Aaron and I high-tailed it to Chick-fil-A for breakfast!  We ate in the restaurant and people-watched all the private school kids as they ordered breakfast before their first day of the school year.

I then drove to Atlanta and we listened to Rick and Bubba on the radio until we reached Newnan, Georgia and the radio signal got spotty.  We made excellent time to our off-campus parking venue and we arrived at the airport one hour early!  We weren't checking any bags on our trip up there, but we knew we might need to check a bag on our way home since we planned on buying lots of souvenirs.

We chose to fly Spirit this time.  It was our first time flying this airline and we were a bit nervous about all the rules:  only one personal item is free, carry-ons cost extra, checked bags cost extra, the seats don't recline, all beverages (yes, including water) and snacks are a fee, etc.  I was thinking "holy cow, what did I get us into?!?" but it actually worked out quite well.  It was only a two hour flight, so it didn't matter much to us that the seats didn't recline.  We knew about the charge for water, etc, so we bought a bottle of water in the airport and had it with us on the plane.  We packed lightly and I shipped clothes to my grandmother ahead of time so that we could abide by the "one free personal item" rule.

We arrived in Maryland around 3:00pm on Tuesday.  Around 4:30pm, we hit up our first item on our to-do list:  eat blue crabs!

The next day, we woke early, caught a train to DC, and took a double decker tour bus ride!  That is an AWESOME way to see DC, because, let's face it:  that town has a lot of walking involved!  We couldn't find the right bus to take us to Arlington, so we walked across the bridge into Virginia.  Holy Humidity, Batman!  That was the roughest walk of my life!  It was SO HOT!  I'm thinking "Man, I'm from the SOUTH.  Why is it so hot up here in the North?!?!"  Apparently, we brought the humidity with us. I got a lot of pictures from this day's trip and I will post them soon.

On Thursday, we woke early again and drove to Lancaster, PA to Amish Country!  One of my favorite places on earth!  We ate breakfast at a huge smorgasboard.  Yum. Yum. Yum.  I adore buffets.  And breakfast foods.  I was on Cloud Nine.  We drove around Amish Country and showed Aaron all the ropes.  Aaron and I took a tour of the Amish Village and he took a turn being the photographer with my camera. :)  He did a great job!  He's officially hired as my back-up. :)

On Friday, we hit up Gettysburg.  We toured the Jenny Wade House, and I ended up being one of the rare people who toured it 20 years ago and remembered parts about the house that have since changed.  I bought some Pumpkin Butter in the gift shop (can't wait to use that this fall in some scrumptious desserts!).  We then drove around the battlefield and my fatigue and constant tiredness was in full swing!  Aaron appreciated the sites, though, and it was fun to see him get to experience a part of history.  We then toured the Eisenhower farm-- another one of my favorite places on earth!  Love that farm SO SO much!

On Saturday, Aaron helped Grandma change out a lightbulb in her laundry room, then we packed up and headed home.  We indulged ourselves with McDonald's in the airport for lunch, and had a fantastic time chatting on our three hour drive home from the airport.

This trip was so refreshing and much needed.  It was a delight to get out of town with my best friend and enjoy some adult time.  I finished Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" on this trip, and got lots of writing done.  It was such a breath of fresh air to be out of our normal routine for a few days!  We are very thankful for all of the grandparents who helped us make this trip come true by taking care of our kiddos, doggies, and house.

Pictures to come soon!

Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment