Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Monday, July 30, 2018

Dentist

I decided back in March when Michael's dentist appointment was approaching, to cancel it and reschedule it for the summertime.  Michael missed a lot of school in January and February due to our preventative measures to keep him from getting the flu (because Type One Diabetes and the flu are a dangerous combination).  I didn't want him missing out of any more class time.  I also feel like one dentist trip a year is sufficient, so now I should be able to schedule dentist appointments for both boys  (and eventually Avery) during the summertime.

The boys had their appointments back to back on Monday.  I go back with them, and I knew I couldn't leave one kid unattended in the waiting room, so I had one boy sit in the side chair and one boy in the dentist chair.  I pre-arranged for their appointments to be with the same hygienist, and the dentist office staff thought this was a great plan.  They said I could keep doing it like this until both boys were old enough to have side by side appointments.

Since the appointments were back to back, we spent a large amount of time in the dentist office.  Usually, I'm in and out within 30 minutes, but this time we were in there close to two hours!  Part of this was because Noah wouldn't open his mouth, which is a key location for dental appointments. :)

Noah went first, and it is really a toss up as to who should have gone first.  Both of the boys wanted to go first, but technically, it was Noah's appointment first and I tacked Michael onto it in March.  So, the staff called Noah first.  I think whichever boy went second probably would have the advantage since he'd be able to see his brother undergo the steps and would know what to expect.

Noah usually does great at the dentist, but he was hesitant to open his mouth and I had to bribe him to do so.  He protested every new thing they had to do:  dental pictures, picking, flossing, polishing, brushing flouride, etc.  Eventually, his appointment ended and Michael's could begin.  Michael knew everything to do since he had just seen Noah go through it.  Michael did super great!  This is an oddity because he's normally the shy one/uncooperative one at appointments since he's had to endure so many doctor/endocrinology appointments in his little life so far.  But he did phenomenally well!

Both boys were given an inflated balloon and a non-inflated balloon for them to blow-up later (ie, death sentence, which is why I confiscated the non-blown-up balloons and swiftly tossed them in the garbage can at home).   They were also both given two stickers of Mr. Peabody and Sherman, which led to their interest in watching that TV show on Netflix in the coming days.

By the time we left the dentist office, it was nearly lunchtime and Michael's blood sugar had begun to drop right before the dentist checked his teeth.  I didn't want to feed him skittles while waiting on the dentist to come survey what the hygienist had just done, so we waited and Michael was okay.  I gave him some fruit snacks in the van when we were done with the appointment.

I promised the boys a treat when they were finished, and Lord knows they don't need any more toys, so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to go inside our town's brand new Krispy Kreme location!  I was super surprised at how nice it was inside!  They had the perfect selection size, and an offer to get any three donuts for just over three dollars.  I tried limiting the boys to a few select donuts, but Noah was insistent on a cake-batter filled one because it had yellow frosting, so I thought "oh, why not?" and I told both boys to pick out whatever donut they wanted.  Michael changed his mind from a strawberry frosted one to an Oreo filled one, and Noah was ecstatic to get the yellow frosted one!  I got my tried-and-true favorite of chocolate iced custard filled and we all sat down to a very nice little outing!  The donut crew wasn't making a fresh batch, but I hope to take the boys again sometime soon so they can watch the donuts roll through the glaze machine. :)






We had a really sweet morning together and then I dropped them off with my mother in law so I could go home to work on my 13 page research paper for one of my classes!  I turned it in this morning-- yay!  Now I need to start working on a 2-3 page paper for another class before I work on a 5-page paper for a third class.

Until Next Time,
Much love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment