Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Monday, October 15, 2018

Pumpkin Patch on a spur of the moment

Last Tuesday when we were finally well again and enjoying one last day of fall break, my mom asked if we'd like to go to the pumpkin patch.  They closed at 5:00 and it was roughly 1:30 when she texted me.  I had just laid Avery down for a nap, so I asked if we could go in thirty minutes.  She said there was no rush and that I could let Avery sleep.  So I had the boys lay down too for their quiet time.  Avery woke up about 45 minutes later, but both boys were then deep asleep!  Within fifteen minutes, I had to wake Michael because his blood sugar got too low, and Noah woke up about twenty to thirty minutes after that.  So I quickly gave the kids a snack and texted my mom that we were all awake and ready to go.

We headed out around 3:45 and it took us exactly 15 minutes to get there.  Now Michael and my mom had been to this exact pumpkin patch last fall during Michael's kindergarten field trip, so she knew right where to go.  It was SO CUTE!  She paid our $10 fee to get inside (Avery was free!) and we had about an hour to pal around before closing time.

We rode the train first (read: covered trailer driven by a massive tractor!) to the pumpkin patch.  I was astounded to see flat white pumpkins, mint green (or aged copper) pumpkins, dark green pumpkins, and of course, the tried and true orange pumpkins.  My mom and Michael picked orange ones.  Noah picked a small orange and dark green one, and I picked a mint green one.  So fun!  Avery liked looking (and trying to carry) all the "balls."











Once we got back to the train station, I grabbed a wagon that they loan out to guests.  Michael, Avery and I carted the pumpkins to the van while Mom and Noah found our next location of fun-- the corn crib!  A small shed was set up with corn kernels and slides, dump trucks, etc.  Avery loved showing us the free snacks. ;)  We had to really work to keep her from eating them!






Next, we went to the huge slide.  Right next to the slide is a tunnel made out of the same pipe material.  This is great for younger kids!  I took Avery down the slide once, and she would've gone a million more times, but I satisfied her by letting her walk through the tunnel instead.




Next we saw the chickens, goats (aka "pup pups" to Avery), and the cow.

Then we headed back to the slide while Michael sneakily crept to the corn cob gun station and fired a gun (with no corn cob in it-- so it was just air, but it made a deafening noise nonetheless and scared the teenager who was supposed to be manning the station but was playing on the swingset instead!). It was hilarious to hear this sound and then whip around to see my own wide-eyed child standing at the helm.  Oh well.  Nothing was hurt, but I did tell him not to touch that again.

Next, we did a water and rubber ducky race.  We then got a quick picture of me and my kiddos in front of a pumpkin display.


By this time, it was 5:02, so we wrapped it up and called it a night.  My kids were dirty, tired, and had shoes and pockets full of corn kernels. :)  I kept finding them in my dryer days later. :)  Everyone got a bath and a story and then bed.  It was a great great day, and I'm so glad we went!!!  I'd definitely go back.

Until next time,
Much love, Reba

1 comment:

  1. Super fun! And seems like minimal crowds too. That's perfect.

    ReplyDelete