Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Book Review

Since completing my internship on April 25th, I have been able to do some serious leisure reading and I love it!  Of course, now I'm studying to take a statewide teacher test for a subject out of my field of expertise to prove I'm highly qualified to teach that subject, so my leisure reading is suspended until June 15th, but I made a good run while I had the time.  All of these books except for the last three which I own and chose to read again, were checked out from the library.  I got the ideas to read the first four books from Zulily when they had a book sale, but I chose to look them up at the library instead of buying them for myself.  I've read several books in "The Cat Who" series and they are always a fun read, so I randomly grabbed one during a trip to the library and followed it up by re-reading some of my own copies of the books that I already had at home. Here's what I read from April 25th through May 21st:

Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger.  I really love Lauren Weisberger's style of writing.  She's witty and current, and her books follow several characters throughout them and this keeps it interesting. Chasing Harry Winston is about three friends who all wonder about their love lives (one is engaged, one wants to settle down, and one is always known as the "good girl."  It's a tad racy at times and there's a little language throughout, but it's quite an entertaining read with a good storyline.


Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty. I've read Big Little Lies by Moriarty before and it was so suspenseful that I didn't even realize how quickly I was going through the book!  I read a caption of Truly Madly Guilty and thought it looked interesting enough to grab at the library.  I was engrossed once again in Moriarty's work.  It's almost like an inner battle in myself because the book is so suspenseful that I don't really want to keep reading it, but at the same time, I need the closure of finding out what happens at the end!  If you like suspenseful books, this is a great read.

13 Things Mentally Strong Parents Don't Do by Amy Morin. (I skimmed this one). I thought this book might help me out as I work on becoming a teacher.  I'm always eager to learn classroom management styles, and as a parent, I find many similarities between running a classroom and parenting.  I skimmed over this book, but it didn't offer enough revelations for me to commit to reading it cover to cover.

The Southerner's Handbook by Editors of Garden and Gun. (I skimmed this one). I thought this one would be a mix of design and Southern recipes.  It was almost more geared toward men though with information on hunting and bar-be-que.

The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare by Lilian Jackson Braun.

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson Braun.

The Cat Who Saw Red by Lilian Jackson Braun.

The Cat Who Played Brahms by Lilian Jackson Braun.

I've read several of these Cat Who books.  They are all able to be picked up and read in any order (each book's storyline is completed within that book), but if you wanted to start from the beginning and try to go in order, then start with The Cat Who Could Read Backwards. "The Cat Who" series follows along with a newspaper journalist and his two Siamese cats (one who is extra-sensitive to what's going on around him).  The books are mysteries, but not gory or very suspenseful.  They are light-hearted and easy reads.



If you have time to leisure read this summer, I absolutely recommend these books!


Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba




No comments:

Post a Comment