Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

3 Things to Start 2020

Happy New Year!

Is it weird for you to think that it's 2020?  I'm not sure it's really sunk in for me yet.  I haven't had to write out the date on a check or anything yet, so maybe that'll be the real test.  Maybe 2020 won't ever seem super "odd" to me because it's really just another year.  I hadn't even really paid attention to the fact that it was going to be a new decade.  I do remember being super excited for the transition into a new day, month, year, decade, century, and millenium on December 31, 1999-- so maybe these transitions from one year to the next and one decade to the next aren't so impressed upon me.  To be honest, I forgot to have my older kiddos count down the new year last night (usually I set the clocks ahead by 4 hours and act like it's 11:45 when it's 7:45, and then they'll count down the last minute to the "new year" before going to bed).  Aaron worked from 6:00am to 10:00pm last night and I just kind of forgot.  Until my neighbors began shooting off fireworks that really should belong in a municipal 4th of July show-- then I remembered it was New Year's Eve and felt a twinge of sadness that I forgot to count it down with my kiddos.  But we woke up this morning happy and excited for it to be January (even if I wasn't too excited one way or another, my kids were excited and that's enough for me). :)

I figured I'd start out 2020 on the blog with a random assortment of three facts about each of my kiddos at this stage in their lives.

Michael:  (7 Years Old)


-Michael is conservative in thought and expression, but loud in voice volume and about topics he is passionate about, which include Pokemon and Minecraft with the occasional Mario tidbit thrown in for good measure. He wants to be included in activities but will hesistate to participate if he's not sure he can do things perfectly or if he's afraid he'll be scrutinized too heavily by anyone watching.  This reminds me so much of my older brother and it makes sense that Michael acts this way too, seeing as he's a firstborn.

-Michael is SUCH a gifted reader.  He'll devour books on the day he gets them.  He LOVES going to the library (whether the one in our town, or the school's library).  I can almost guarantee that he'll have a book or two shoved underneath his pillow or his bed.  He reads books multiple times in a row and prefers very long stories at bedtime as opposed to little quick board books.

-Michael is a jokester.  He loves telling jokes, but will also create jokes and try to make jokes out of everyday statements by adding a drum & cymbal sound ("ba-dum-chhh!") to them if he has thought of a way in which the statement can connect to a pun or double meaning.
Example:
Me: Do you want another slice of pizza?
Michael: Yes, I'll take a slice of "piece-za."  Get it?  Ba-dum-chhhh!  Because pizza, like piece-za?




Noah: (5, almost 6 Years Old)




-Noah is a highly entertaining little boy.  He's very small for his age but makes up for it with a raging personality of exuberance and joyfulness about life.  He literally jumps up and down in place multiple times a day when he's excited about something.  This same excitement can be seen for items or objects of varying degrees of simplicity.  For example, the exuberant jumping is the same when you tell him he can have a sleepover at a grandma's house, or if you told him he could have a pickle for a snack.


-Noah is shocking all of us with his behavior at school.  Since the first day of school in the beginning of August, Noah has only gotten the two highest behavior colors-- green and purple.  Green means "ready to learn" and purple means "super star behavior."  I'm not sure how much longer the streak can go on, and I will say that some days Noah seems to save his misbehavior for when he's at home, but I am semi-okay with this because I can handle his tantrums and I know that if he's been good at school all day that he might be nearly exploding stage inside with all of the energy that's bound to come out of him in one way or another.  I'd much rather have him be well behaved outside of the house and leave his sour moments for his daddy and me.


-Noah is a middle child through and through.  Since I am one myself, it is easy for me to notice the swings that come with feeling like everyone is paying attention to the oldest or the youngest.  Noah and I share a bond in this feeling, but now that I'm a mama I fully understand that there is no favoritism being played; it's just the way that middle children deal with being middle children.  Since I am one, I catch onto it and can redirect Noah into acknowledging his skills and value just as my parents did with me.



Avery: (2 Years Old)



-Avery is really working on saying two syllable words which is equal parts funny and cute.  The gap between syllables is quite evident and most of the time comes with an emphasis on the second syllable.  So for "mommy" she'll say "mom----hee."  On the other hand, she'll say "mama" with super quickness, so it's only certain words she is working on mastering now.  "Potty" is "Pot---hee." "Bottle" is "bott-hole." "Michael" has gone from Mow to "Mow-how."  Noah is still "broo" for some reason, but sometimes I'll catch her saying "No---huh."  This stage is just so cute and fun!


-Avery is very much into imaginative play.  We bought her a super cute kitchen for Christmas and she'll make us coffee and fruit and dessert platters all day long.  She's also still very keen on carrying around her "Baby Pat Pat" and also alllllllll of her stuffed animal dogs and Grinch.  She also pretended to go potty last night on her plastic toddler potty (which is in the living room-- read: convenient) and then proceeded to walk to her toy kitchen sink and "wash hands."  :)

-Avery is in the process of making sense of all the different things going on around her and will often repeat what we say, but in question form.  So if I ask her if she wants her jacket zipped, she'll reply with "zipped?" in a long drawn out two syllable form.  If she's eaten one fruit snack and has one piece left on her tray, she might say "froo snack, where go? Had two." and I'll say "You ate one." And she'll reply "one?" again in a very long drawn out two syllable form.  It's really funny and highly predictable.  These days are surely some of my favorites.


Well, there we have it.  Three little things about three little kiddos of mine.


Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba


1 comment: