Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Saturday, September 5, 2020

Michael's Super Nintendo Mario Party

 Originally, Michael's birthday party theme was going to be "Poison Kirby" but alas, that proved to be too difficult to find supplies.  So he changed it to Super Nintendo/ Mario.  This, I could do.  I have done a Mario party for three out of the last 4 years (year 4, year 5, year 8).  We kept it simple with the invites-- partly due to Coronavirus concerns and not wanting to expose ourselves to too many avenues of exposure, and partly because school wasn't in session yet and we didn't have classmate information. 


We invited our church family and our extended family.  All three grandparent sets were able to come, as well as two uncles, an aunt, a girlfriend of an uncle, and two cousins.  It was a very fun day!  We opted not to do a bouncy house this year (again, covid concerns of little kids jumping on a slick surface where sweat and inevitably some spittle would flounce about).  We had our party at the church building still, because people could spread out and because I wouldn't have to bend over backwards to clean my home to the desired level that I feel is necessary when non-family is coming over. 


We kept the decorations relatively simple.  We used solid red plates, multi-colored cups, and a Funfetti cake with homemade buttercream frosting.  I bought Mario themed balloons from Amazon, as well as a Mario "Happy Birthday" banner, and Mario cake toppers.  Michael scrolled Pinterest with me one afternoon and we picked out some food ideas. 


We had cheese balls as "Bowser's Fireballs" (all labels I printed myself at home), strawberries and green grapes on skewers for "Piranha Plants," blue jello with Cool Whip as "Mario Sky," and labelled soda bottles (Dr. Mario [Diet Dr. Pepper], Mountain Boo [Diet Mountain Dew], Koopa Kola [Diet Coke], and Rex Root Beer [Diet A&W], and regular Coke as well).  We also had classic potato chips (that I forgot to label as "coins"), crunchy Cheetos, and the cake with tinted green frosting for grass and the Mario characters set atop in the order Michael provided. 


We bought a few "yard games" on Amazon for party participants to play.  We bought a bean bag toss game, an inflatable bowling set (very popular with the 2 and 3 year old crowd), and a giant table-top checkers set.  The kiddos also played with the foosball table in the Children's Church room and the toddlers enjoyed playing in the nursery.  All in all it was a super fun day and I'm so grateful to our family and our church family for stepping in and making sure Michael had a fantastic 8th birthday!








Until Next Time, 

Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment