Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Thursday, September 12, 2019

Auburn Day Trip

Over Labor Day Weekend, we were planning to go visit my grandparents in Florida, but Hurricane Dorian derailed our plans.  We anticipated that Florida residents might get the evac notice and we didn't want to be battling thousands of other drivers trying to leave the state before disaster struck.  So we altered our plans.  And so did Dorian.  It ended up being a very nice weekend in Florida but we didn't know that was the case when we changed our plans.  We hope to get down to Florida on an upcoming weekend instead.

So as we were contemplating what to do, we decided to take a couple of day trips.  Aaron ended up having to work on Saturday morning (so it's good we weren't already in route to Florida when he got that news!) but when he came home around 10:30, we decided to load up everyone and take a one hour car ride to the Loveliest Village on the Plains, ie Auburn, AL.

My parents went to college at Auburn.  We lived very close to Auburn for a few years when I was a little girl and my younger brother received pre-school classes on Auburn's campus.  My older brother went to college there.  I went to college there and met my two best friends there.  Aaron and I began our relationship there.  Auburn holds a very special place in my heart.

I've been fortunate to go back to campus several times since I live just about an hour away.  I even purposely made a building on Auburn's campus my subject matter for an assignment in grad school so that I could go to Auburn to take photos of the building to include in my paper.  I even stopped through Auburn to and from dropping off and picking up Aaron at the Atlanta airport this summer.  However, I always feel like a part of my Auburn heart is missing when I return to the city alone.  I feel a deep sadness when I go into Auburn alone.  I only feel content and complete when I go to Auburn with family or my best friends.  So over Labor Day weekend, I was able to take my kids to Auburn for the first time ever.  Yes.  The first time.  It's always been in my plans to take them.  I just always have life's curve-balls thrown at me instead.  So this time it finally worked out for me to take my kiddos to Auburn and let them experience the smallest taste of what a joy the city brings.

We arrived in Auburn shortly after lunch and began our journey by taking a photo of the kids off to the side of Toomer's Corner.


I took the obligatory "guess where I am" photo to send to the besties.



We then wandered through campus and showed them various locations that I had classes in.  We stopped in the new student center for a bathroom break and some AC!

We then took them to see Jordan-Hare stadium since Michael was curious as to its size and presence.

Both boys took turns pushing Avery in the stroller (and what a great move that was to bring the stroller!).

Once we returned to the front of Samford Hall, I took some photos of the kids.  Once I sort through and edit those, I'll share them here.  I'm sure in the 100 shots that I have to have a good one somewhere in the mix.  :)

I took a quick photo of the kids in front of the Auburn University sign and as you can see, Michael was hot and over it. 



It started to sprinkle at that point, so we went across the street to J&M bookstore where Aaron and I picked out a shirt and the kids each picked a stuffed animal.  Michael got an eagle that he named Bravey.  Noah picked a black and brown puppy that he named Little Pup, and Avery picked a light brown puppy that she named Pup Pup.

From here, Aaron took the kids back to the van to get it cooling off and I stood in a long line at Toomer's Drugs to get a lemonade and limeade for the road.


This upcoming weekend, one of my two best friends whom I met at Auburn is coming into town from way out of state and she's bringing her husband.  We get to go to Auburn and introduce her husband to the glory that is the Loveliest Village on the Plains and I'm so excited!  Maybe during this upcoming day trip, I'll get a photo of Aaron and myself on campus!


Until Next Time,
Much love, Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment