Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Friday, June 29, 2012

31 Weeks

We are at 31 weeks!  It feels so good to be in the single digit weeks now. J

As we’ve progressed through the pregnancy, I knew there were several events that had to take place before Michael’s due date.  So many of those “check mark” things are happening!  A coworker’s wedding, my older brother and his wife’s 3rd year anniversary, my younger brother Bryan’s ceremony for finishing his program at the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind, a baby shower shopping day (that will be tomorrow), etc.  It’s so exciting to be checking off the events that I thought would never get here!   Next week, Aaron will be in Washington for vacation (jealous) and to be the best man in his best friend’s wedding.  Although I really really really want to go with him, I know that it is best for Michael and me to stay put.  And…. starting next Thursday, I am restricted to staying within one hour from Montgomery at all times—doctor’s orders. 

After Aaron returns from the wedding, family comes into town, then it’s Bryan’s birthday, then the baby shower, then one of my best friends takes her GMAT test (and I’m sure she’ll need a shopping day when she’s done), and then……. It’s August!   Although 9 weeks seems like a long way away, these weeks are flying by!  It seems like just yesterday, I was writing last week’s blog.  So, I know that the work week flies by, and my weekends will be so packed that I’m sure August will be here within a blink of an eye!

Every day, we continue to learn more and more about Michael.  I have learned that his head tends to stay on my right side, and his little feet like to kick on the left side of my lower abdomen.  When I lay on my left side, he likes to practice “standing up.”  He’ll push his head against my right side, and his feet will push against my left side.  Sometimes in the middle of the night when I wake up, I will place my hands gently on my belly and I’ll feel him rolling around and turning flips. 

I am trying to be more active these days (although this rising heat makes being outside difficult).  I walk around my work parking lot twice a day with a coworker friend who is also expecting.  I’m also doing a third trimester work-out DVD (don’t be too impressed… I just started using the DVD on Thursday).  :)  Hopefully, these things will make labor a little easier when it’s time. 

This past Wednesday, I had constant lower abdominal pain and began to have mid to lower back pain as well.  I called the doctor’s office and was instructed to come in just to make sure everything was fine.  The doctor on call (my doctor was on vacation) listened to Michael’s heartbeat and checked to make sure I wasn’t on my way to premature labor.  Fortunately, everything turned out just fine.  Michael had a strong heartbeat and I am not in early labor! Yay! The doctor said if the pain continued or got worse, I’d have to come back in and they would evaluate making me stay off my feet (aka, “bed rest”).  Gratefully, the next morning, I was in no pain!  I totally don’t want to go on bed rest, so I’m glad the pain has disappeared.

This Week:
-Michael begins to keep his arms and legs tucked close to his body due to running out of “womb.”  So no wonder he wants to stretch out and practice “standing” while inside my tummy.
-He can process information from all 5 senses (sight, sound, taste, touch, and smell).  Although, he can’t really smell anything now since he’s surrounded by amniotic fluid.
-His lungs are the only body system not quite ready to fully function outside of the womb.  That’s why it’s so important that Michael stay inside of me until closer to his due date.  His lungs need these remaining weeks to mature and strengthen. 
-Michael weighs about 3 and a half pounds.  A generalization is that 31-week old babies in the womb will gain half a pound a week from this point until birth.  That leaves four and a half pounds to be gained for Michael if he adheres to this generalization—which would make him around 8 pounds at birth.  That sounds like quite a lot, but after all, I weighed in at 8 pounds 6 ounces when I was born!
-Our little one is about 16 inches long, which is roughly the size of a pineapple! 


(Photo credit: interstraits.biz)



My craves:
-Dried fruit (still haven’t gotten any of this, but I should since it would be a healthy snack).
-Cherry coke (haven’t given into this one, and no plans currently exist to give in)
-Frozen yogurt or soft serve ice cream.  I think I’ll blame that one on the heat.  And by the way, Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzards from Dairy Queen are a wonderful treat. :)
-Fruit smoothies.  Maybe I’ll grab one on one of these hot afternoons.  

Thank-you so much for catching up on our happenings this week.  We’re getting close, folks, and I couldn’t be more excited to meet our little one in August!  Love, Reba 


No comments:

Post a Comment