Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Friday, August 4, 2017

Extra Things to Do

We're winding down our time before baby Avery arrives.  In these last few weeks remaining, I'm trying to make good use of my time.  Easier said than done when all I'd really like to do is take a nap every single evening.


Since my mom is a nurse, and has worked as a Labor & Delivery nurse, a Postpartum nurse, a Nursery nurse, etc, she suggested to me right before we delivered Michael that I prepare little baggies of candy for nurses who take care of us in the hospital.  We did the same thing for Noah's nurses as well.  We prepared more baggies at that time and I felt better in knowing that I really did have enough for everyone who specifically cared for us.  People remember candy.  Weeks after you've delivered, nurses will still say "Oh yeah!  They're the ones who gave us candy!"


Yes, it's the nurse's job to care for us in the hospital.  But nursing is sometimes a thankless job, and a bag of candy might be the bright spot in someone's shift!  Also, just like in tipping well at a restaurant, kindness comes back to be a benefit to the one performing the action.


We tend to wait until our first full day in the hospital (after the baby is born) for us to start handing out bags.  We try to take note of who has helped us.  Usually, you'll have a daytime labor and delivery nurse, and a nighttime one.  You might have a Tech who helps get you to your post partum room.  You'll have a daytime and a nighttime Post Partum nurse, and the baby will have a daytime and a nighttime Nursery nurse.  That's roughly at least seven bags of candy to have prepared.  Of course, sometimes, you'll have a nurse one night and not the next because it'll be that nurse's night off.  Preparing a few extra bags (or bringing baggies and extra candy in your hospital bag) isn't a bad idea. 


Last weekend, I bought some candy at the grocery store.  I chose things that I like.  I picked out a bag of assorted Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Twix, Milky Way, and Midnight Milky Way.  I picked out a bag of assorted Kisses, Rolos, and Reese's, and then I picked up a bag of only Reese's (mainly so I'd be sure to have some leftover for myself! No shame).  I used sandwich Ziploc baggies, and just put in an assortment of each candy.  I think I put 4 Reese's cups, and then a few Kisses and Rolos, and then 1 of each of the Snickers, 3 Musketeers, Twix, Milky Way and Midnight Milky Way.  My sons saw me assembling the bags and when I told them that they were for the nurses in the hospital, the boys instantly began referring to the candy as "hossa pills."


So, last night after their bath, they both requested some "hossa pills" for their evening snack.  I did end up having leftover candy from assembling the bags, and I had put it in my hospital bag for safekeeping ;)   I pulled out a couple pieces for both boys and still have plenty leftover for any extra bags I have to prepare, or for snacking items for Aaron & myself. 


I asked my mom if there were any other things that nurses would appreciate.  I offered K-cups, but she's not sure if each nurses station has a Keurig, so we decided not to go that route.  She did say that a fun coffee creamer is a treat, and each nurses station usually has a fridge of some sort, so I plan to pick up a bottle of creamer on our way to hospital (or realistically, the day before).  Now this is refrigerated, so it makes it a bit awkward to hand a big coffee creamer bottle to the intake nurse on the Labor and Delivery floor right when you get in a room, but it won't go unappreciated.


These are just some simple things to take up some time, and end up being a blessing to other people. 


Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba









No comments:

Post a Comment