Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Friday, October 20, 2017

Avery: 2 Months

Today, Avery turns two months old!  Time is totally flying and I need to be better about savoring all of these moments because they truly do pass by too quickly.

At Avery's one month appointment, she weighed 9.5lbs, still 21 inches.  She was in the 30th percentile for height and head circumference, and just under the 50th percentile for weight.  The nurse said Avery had the smallest feet of any non-preemie one month old she had seen!  Avery didn't get any shots at that appointment, but she did get the second of two newborn screening heel sticks where they have to fill in 4 circles the size of a quarter with blood.  That's worse than a shot in my opinion.  Avery's two month check up is on the 30th of this month and she will have vaccinations at that appointment. 

Tiny Rant:
Although Avery didn't get any shots at her one month check up, we heard enough screaming from much older kids in every room around us to suffice.  Since I have a son who has to get multiple items injected into him during any given week and a minimum of 6 finger pricks every single day, I am not sympathetic at all to kids who scream during their vaccinations or finger pricks.  I know I should be more sensitive because I know it still hurts them, but I wish everyone could take some extra doses of perspective.  Side note: both of my boys cried during their flu shots this year, and Michael threw a fit during his 5-year check up in August (I was not with him during that visit, Aaron was).  So, I'm not saying my kids are above any other kid.  I'm just saying I personally do not feel sorry for any kid who gets yearly finger pricks or vaccinations because my own son has to get these everyday and I wish he didn't have to.  Okay. Rant over.  Back to Avery's two month update. :)


Clothing: Avery is comfortably in 0-3 month clothing.  She is tall, so I don't really put her in footie pajamas unless they have a bit of stretch to them.  In our state, it's just now starting to get cold, so she's mainly just been wearing a short sleeve onesie until this week when I put her in long sleeve onesies (and a pair of 3 month pants since I don't have any 0-3 month pants for her).  Tonight it the consignment sale shopping night and I will take inventory of her clothes and buy her a few things if necessary.  

Diapers: She's wearing size 1 diapers.    

Sleeping: Avery sleeps great.  She takes good naps during the day and she sleeps for one long stretch at night before waking once or twice afterwards.  She liked to kick her legs out of her Velcro swaddle blanket and would have a fit trying to do this in the middle of the night, so my mom suggested putting her in a sleep sack.  I tried it out last night, and there were no fits from Avery!  But I am totally sad.  I bought 4 swaddle blankets at the consignment sale in the spring for her.  One wasn't long enough.  One I gave to my mother in law to keep at her house. One we use every single night.  And one was the next size up.  So to think that my baby is already outgrowing the need/want for a swaddle makes me sad!  She's only 2 months old!

Feeding: Avery can go 3-4 hours during the daytime between feeds.  She's an efficient feeder, but not all the time.  She quickly falls asleep while nursing and I have to work to wake her back up so she can finish eating.  Sometimes, this fails and I have to finish the feeding by pumping so that I'm not messing up the supply-and-demand of breastfeeding.  I was off of work yesterday and Avery had a bit of a cold so she wasn't eating as much or as often.  So I'd pump at the 3 hour mark and then when she was hungry, I'd try to give her a bottle but she just wasn't having it.She doesn't mind bottles if someone else is feeding her but if it's me, she wants to nurse.  I guess it's building up my supply by pumping then nursing, so that's okay.

Tummy Time:  She still has great head control.  The nurse was impressed with that at her 1 month check up.  Avery can prop herself up on her forearms and look all around (albeit a bit wobbly).  

Poop:  Avery is a once to twice a week pooper.  The pediatrician sees no problem with this.  It's taking me a while to get used to though.  Avery gets super gassy on the days leading up to a poop and I know she's uncomfortable.  We give her Gripe Water or gas drops to help with this.  But I always feel better when she poops because I know she's more settled and relaxed.  

Habit:  Avery has to see me if she's awake and at home.  I don't think she does this at my mother in law's house during the work days, but I've certainly found it to be true at home.  She can be content in her Rock and Play or bouncy seat or swing, but I have to be in her line of sight.  Otherwise, she fusses.  Mostly this happens right before she naps, so it's probably her way of showing tiredness.  

We are smitten with her!  Both boys love her to pieces!  I can't imagine our lives without her in them.






















Until Next Time, 
Much Love, Reba



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! Those bonnet pictures are TOO MUCH! Happy Two-Months Avery!

    ReplyDelete