Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

First Couple Days Back at Work

I returned to work at the beginning of this month.  At times, when I'm on maternity leave, it seems to creep by and I would have days of wishing for more adult interaction.  Then at the end of maternity leave, it always seems to have flown by so fast and I'm wishing for it back.

Although I started back to work at the beginning of October, I did not have to actually pump at work until the third week of October-- last Wednesday to be precise.  The first two weeks of October, I just went into the office to do laptop updates and then I went back home to finish my workday.  Well, last Wednesday I actually had to spend a day in the office and pump.  

Prior to going on maternity leave, I alerted my bosses and HR that I would need a place to pump.  They assured me they would have a place ready.  You see where I'm going with this don't you?  During the second week of October, I asked my boss where this pumping place was (I've pumped in a couple different rooms in the past, so I wasn't sure where they'd put me this time).  He told me where the room was (and it was a room I had used in the past).  He said there was a nice comfy chair in there.  Leather, as it were (and as if I care). 

I didn't blindly accept the fact that the room was ready.  I've learned enough to have my doubts and be prepared.  I even made sure my pump had batteries just in case the outlets that previously were available in this room were covered up or something. 

So, on Wednesday about an hour before I have to pump, I attempt to check out the room.  The door was locked.  I was happy about this actually because in the past, I was given a key to hold onto.  No one mentioned a key this time, but I assumed maybe one of my bosses was holding onto it until I asked.  So I went over to where my bosses sit and asked one of them about the room.  He had a key to it, and although he wasn't going to give me his key, he said he'd unlock the door.  On our way over to the room, another employee needed my help with something, so I paused to help them and my boss continued over to unlock the door of the room.  Once I got over there, he had his hands in his pockets and a grimace on his face.  "You might want to look inside" he said.  

I opened the door and found this. 



My breath caught a little bit in my throat, but I walked inside the room and found an outlet and tried to imagine myself pumping in there and wondering where I would put my pump and how would I keep it from getting dusty.  Then I decided "no way. I'm not doing this."  I took out my phone and snapped the above picture and said "They wanna play like this?  Okay."

I called HR and asked them if they had seen the room.  They said they had not.  I told them I had picture proof and that the room was dusty and dirty.  They said they'd get right on it. 

A few minutes later, an HR member came to my desk and apologized for the condition of the room.  Apparently, there's been some remodeling at night and the crews have been storing computers, tools, and paint in the room unbeknownst to HR.  

So HR assured me that the items would be removed and that the room would go on the cleaning schedule for the night cleaning crew.  

For that day in the office though, they'd have to find somewhere else for me to pump.  They had less than an hour to find a place. 

They offered up a vacant office upstairs.  Then they had to recant that offer since there were confidential files in the office still.  And, no, I would never have even thought about looking at the files, but I understand that protocol is protocol. 

So they found another vacant office.  And that's where I went.  It was along the side of a major conference room where all the bosses have meetings each day, so I made sure to time myself so that I didn't exceed the break times allotted to me to pump.  I also pumped while hoping no one would enter the room since it did not have a lock. 

Needless to say, my first pumping stash was minimal that day. This was okay though because I brought 4 bottles, but ended up with only 3 lids.  So I just poured my first stash into the same bottle. My next stash was much improved but I was still nervous about the door not having a lock. 

Hopefully this week will be better.  I have to go into the office on Friday for mandatory "team building exercise" so I will choose to make that day my "in office day."  

Was I surprised by my office's pumping room?  No.  Because I've learned my lesson in the past to expect disappointment in this company.  

And I am still currently looking for other employment, but pumping sure does create a snag there.  And since I'm not sure if any place would be any better than how I have it now, I might as well try to stay content with my current job and pumping situation. 

Ps, I totally feel like a pack mule when I come to work.  Lunch bag, purse, pump, pump bag with supplies (spare parts, paper towels, etc), laptop bag.



Until Next Time, 
Much love, Reba


2 comments:

  1. UGH! That is ridiculous. I'm angry for you. I really hope they remedy that situation for you. The only reason the pump room in my office is nice is because a mom (she works in HR)pushed to have a dedicated space with a locking door.

    Also, I totally feel you with the pack mule. I have to haul all my stuff on the subway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine carrying all this on the subway! Bless you! I'm so glad you have a nice pumping room-- it really does contribute to a good pumping session.

      Delete