Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Bathroom Reno Complete!

In April, we had a contractor come out to the house and give us a quote on our master bathroom reno ideas and a quote on resurfacing the deck in the backyard.  I'll share an update soon of the deck (we love it!), but today is all about the bathroom.  Our general plan was to remove the tub and shower inserts, create a walk-in shower where the bathtub was, install wooden shelves where the shower insert was, and raise the vanity up higher and replace the counter-top.  To see the "Before" pictures and a peek at the tiles we chose, click here.

The renovation on both the bathroom and the deck was scheduled to begin on the Tuesday after Memorial Day.  However, a family issue from the contractor caused the construction to be delayed a week.  Therefore, it began on the Monday after Memorial Day, June 1st.  The deck was finished within a couple of days, and bathroom work began on this week as well.  They'd work on the bathroom demo during our typical afternoon summer rain showers. For a week and a half, they worked on the bathroom.  Then we had to wait for the tile company to order the granite for the counter-top, which took an extra two weeks.  The counter-top was installed on Tuesday the 23rd and the bathroom was finished on Friday the 26th.  We are so thrilled with how it turned out!  It's such a nice change to the room and certainly more comfortable to move around in.

We are also so relieved to be finished with construction!  Aaron was able to work from home for the first two weeks of the project, but he had to return to the office during the last two weeks, which meant the kids and I had to hang around the house during the day instead of venturing out to my mother-in-law's house for a change of scenery.

The fact that we're finally done and our vision has become reality is still mind-boggling to me.  I am not usually someone who handles change well, and even though I designed the project and chose the tile with Aaron and knew in my mind how it would look, it's still odd to walk into a room that remained a certain way for four years and see it completely different.  I know I'll get used to it the more time passes, and I know it'll be such an asset to us whenever we decide to sell.

Here's a look at some of the construction process.  I do have the photos of Day One where the walls were taken down to the studs, but it's basically that-- just studs, so it's not entirely interesting to look at. :)  Here's the rest of the project in stages.

This was the day they put up the moisture barrier walls and built the shower seat.




That same day, they sheetrocked where the shower insert had been and laid the mosaic tile we had chosen for the floor.  We thought we had some extra white 12x12" tiles, but found out that we didn't, so we had to buy a tile for the floor where the shower had been.  We tried finding a match to the tile we had on the rest of the bathroom floor, but we couldn't find any in the store so we took a risk and chose this gray & light brown mosaic tile.  The contractor loved it and was thrilled that we chose something different and interesting!  He has since told me that other customers are choosing mosaic tile choices for their own shower and shampoo cut-outs, etc.


This was taken a couple days later after I painted the sheetrock and he laid the baseboards.  He built these shelves and stained them at home, then installed them here.  They are eighteen inches deep and a foot apart from each other.  I can just barely reach the top shelf which is fine with me.  I made sure there was enough space between the bottom shelf and the floor so I could store a hamper down there.  


This is when the shower was fully tiled & the faucet installed. 




This was the day that the vanity was raised up four inches.  You can see the wooden riser, and I will eventually paint this white to look like baseboard.  My mother-in-law gave me the oil-rubbed bronze drawer knobs since she had several leftover from her kitchen cabinet knob change.


This is the day that the counter-top was installed.  We are so happy with the granite choice!  I gave the color family idea to the contractor (we wanted white, but not stark white, and not too much veining).  This piece of granite has the perfect amount of gray veining, and it's a very subtle gray/white granite which ties in beautifully to the wall color (Sherwin Williams "Sea Salt").


The contractor installed our sink faucets the next day that he was back at our house.  We ordered our faucets from Amazon which saved us so much money as opposed to buying faucets from big box stores.


The following day, he installed the shower door.  We had originally intended to go with a frameless shower door, but they were SO expensive and I had mentally hit a money-spending-block and could not possibly fathom spending extra money on a door.  I found a very good door at Lowe's for nearly 4 times less than the frameless door, so we were able to just pick up that one rather than ordering a door, and the contractor installed it for us.


We found out that the original mirror wasn't going to fit back in its place after the vanity was raised up four inches, and a four inch back-splash was attached.  I jumped on kirklands.com and happened to find a mirror that would fit and it was on super sale.  Aaron and I hung the mirror on Friday night.


Here's our shelves after I began strategically placing things on them.


We are so super thrilled with how everything turned out and it was an interesting process to see it all come together!

Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba

1 comment: