Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Monday, June 15, 2020

Random Update

A lot has been going on over here during these past several weeks, so I thought I'd string several would-be shorter posts together in one update post.

During our first Christmas after we were married, Aaron received a very nice knife block.  We've used these knives for the past ten years and have always made a space for the large block on our counters.  In our current house, we have limited counter space so we chose to try something new.  We bought a wooden insert to put into a drawer and store our knives that way instead.  At first the insert was too long, but my father-in-law cut it down by a couple inches and now it fits perfectly and looks like the drawer was designed just for this.  We are able to fit most of the knives into the insert.  I store a couple of steak knives in the regular silverware drawer along with the knife sharpener and kitchen shears.  The super long bread knife is now kept with my other kitchen utensils in a separate drawer.



After seeing my Nana use a Swiffer Duster cloth in her van to keep it dust-free, I decided to do the same thing!  Every so often, I'll pull it out and give the dash a quick wipe down.



I store it in a little pocket underneath the dash.


Anytime I coach a team at church (cheerleading, soccer, etc.), I use a 5-gallon bucket to store my belongings and coach materials.  It also works as a make-shift stool during half-time etc.


I only bring essentials to the field: keys, sunglasses, wallet, and of course a face mask these days.



For our bathroom reno, we're going with oil-rubbed bronze fixtures.  Our current fixtures were chrome, so instead of buying new oil-rubbed bronze items, I decided to try spray painting our current ones first.  I chose the Burnished Amber finish rather than Oil Rubbed Bronze finish since the Burnished Amber was closer in color to the look I was going for.  Aaron and I were intrigued by the Forged Hammer effect, so we grabbed it and decided to see how it did!  I made sure to read the directions to verify that it would hold to shiny metal surfaces.


I unscrewed the towel ring and toilet paper holder and placed them on an unfolded cardboard box in the backyard.  One coat completely covered the toilet paper holder, and I only had to do a touch-up on the towel ring to get the underside of the loop.  I did accidentally spray my left hand while trying to put the trigger guard back on and I didn't end up getting the paint off until the next evening after trying so many different potential solutions.  Eventually the trick was orange pumice soap and a scrubby side of a sponge.  I was so happy with how the fixtures turned out and it was so worth doing it myself instead of buying new items.



I followed Andrea's recipe at Momfessionals for faux quiche one night for dinner.  I just used whatever vegetables I had on hand (broccoli, red pepper, tomato, yellow pepper, onion) and two slices of ham lunch meat.  This week we'll make this again and use a ham steak and cheddar cheese.



We were very happily surprised when we found a large blackberry vine growing over our fence from the empty lot next door.  The berries don't ripen at the same time, so we venture out there every couple of days to pick the ripe ones.  Avery takes it upon herself to grab the bathroom stool and help herself to a snack.  Again.  And again.




We had a lot of rain this past week due to the Hurricane bands, and I took this photo at the bottom of my mother-in-law's driveway one day.


We recently signed up for Misfit Markets to get a variety of fresh veggies delivered to us every other week.  This was our box two weeks ago; we'll get another box this week and it's so fun to open it up and see what's inside!  It's pushed us to try new things and it's nice having fresh fruit on hand for the kiddos.


Noah and I were trying to use up some of the citrus fruits we had received in a previous box, so we made an orange and lime cake.  Both boys thought it tasted okay (Michael said it tasted like Fruit Loops) but we were kind of tired of it after two days.


Some mornings call for a latte in a princess cup while reading old copies of HGTV Magazine.


I love capturing moments when my kiddos are kind to each other and using their imaginations.


Who knew waiting for a dentist appointment could be so funny?!  They are handling the whole "wearing a mask" thing very well and I'm super proud of them.



Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment