Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Friday, April 12, 2019

Easter Basket Ideas

Easter is my favorite holiday.  We always have a ham dinner around Easter-- either at one set of parents' homes or our own. This year, we're not hosting Easter dinner but we do plan to bake our own ham simply for the benefit of having leftovers!

Only within the past two years have I actually put together an assortment of gifts for my kids on Easter morning. I had one Easter basket while growing up--a church member had given one to my brothers and me.  I remember mine had a purple Pocahontas coloring book and I thought it was the greatest thing.  Aaron got Easter baskets every year.  We decided to start doing an "Easter bundle" for our kids a couple of years ago.  Of course, they love every excuse to get presents, so they're all for it!  We do not tell them that the goodies came from the Easter bunny.  We don't really spark belief in the Easter bunny here, because we want our kids to trust in the true story of Easter.  We don't bring up the Easter bunny a whole lot, though, because we don't necessarily want our kids spoiling that belief for other kids who choose to believe in it, or whose parents tell them that's where their baskets come from. We don't even do "baskets" on Easter morning.  I just pile up the goodies on the couch into individualized sections for each kids, then a combined goodies section in the middle.

This year, so far, I have a "make your own comic book" for Michael. He is very much into drawing comics and writing little stories, so I know he will LOVE this!  I chose a version that did not already include thought bubbles because, well, that's just kind of awkward. The book arrived on Saturday and I'm super pumped! It'll be hard to refrain from giving him this gift early!

I also bought these bubble wands that are supposed to make humongous bubbles.  I'm hoping they live up to the hype!  I also got some "just add water" bubble solution for them. I'm anxious to see how well that works. The bubbles are for the enjoyment of all three kids (plus Aaron and myself!).

Noah loves all things garbage trucks and police, but already has so many toys in those categories. I thought about getting him a Play-doh garbage truck due to his latest bout of playing with Play-doh, but instead I'm going to get him a few new Play-doh colors to replace ones that have dried and I ordered him these police car & badge cookie cutters and construction vehicle cookie cutters (one is a dump truck and we can pretend it's a garbage truck).  He can use the cookie cutters to make shapes in the Play-doh.

I'll probably get Avery some pretend food for make-believe play. Easter would be the perfect time to stock up on bows, but she doesn't keep them in her hair, so that would be a waste of money over here. She has recently begun playing with the tiny toy kitchen that the boys got for Christmas a few years ago.  In fact, she learned how to open doors and would sneak into their room to play with it so I moved it into her own room.  It might be fun for her to have some pretend food for her to play with.

I'm not planning to have any candy in their Easter bundle-- mainly because they didn't finish their candy from Valentine's Day and they don't need candy.  Instead, I'm hoping that they will find things to do that will make them engage in imaginative play and limit screen time.

Lately, Michael and Noah have opted to play together rather than watch shows (or play video games in Michael's case). They get along so much better when the TV is off and when they're using their imaginations. Sure they still squabble, but it's few and far between now. Their Easter bundle will give them ample opportunities to play on their own and together, without screens.

Until Next Time,
Much love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment