Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

This is the made-up recipe we use for chicken pot pie.  I hesitate to even call it a recipe per se because it's so simple.  The only reason I even had to come up with this approach was because I've tried and failed several times in making a real chicken pot pie from scratch, so this is how I have to get my fill instead. 


What You'll Need:

-a frozen deep dish pie shell that you've thawed



-a refrigerated pie crust that you can unfold or unroll (I let this sit on the counter for 20-40 minutes to soften up so it doesn't break upon opening)




-cream of chicken soup (1 regular size can ~ 14.5 ounces)

-can of Veg-All (bigger can ~29 ounces)

-3-4 chicken breasts (boiled and cut up or shredded, or you can use a rotisserie chicken that you've pulled the meat from)

-sprinkling of dried parsley



Directions:

1. Assemble chicken (either boil, cool, and shred or cut it into bite sized pieces, or gather the meat pulled from a rotisserie chicken)

2. Preheat oven to 350* F

3. Place thawed out frozen pie shell on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.  (The frozen pie shells that I buy come in a foil pie plate.  If yours does not, then you'll need to insert your pie crust into a pie plate before placing on cookie sheet). 

4. Stir together the chicken, Veg-All, and cream of chicken soup in a large bowl. 




5. Pour chicken mixture into the thawed pie shell. 



6. Unroll or unfold the refrigerated pie crust over the top of the pot pie.  Pinch sides to seal crusts together. 




7. Cut a few steam holes in the top of the crust.



8. Swipe a slightly wet (and clean!) hand over the top of the top crust. Sprinkle dried parsley over the crust.  



9. Bake at 350* for 40-50 minutes (watching it within the last 5-10 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn.  This is dependent upon how thawed your crusts were when you began.  Add a few extra minutes if crusts are still pale). 

10.  Broil on high for 2-3 minutes (set a timer and watch the pie closely!).  This will help create a golden brown crust. 




See? Super simple.  Super delicious.  And it's certainly not anything I can create a claim to fame on.  It's just a recipe for busy moms.  Usually I'll cook my chicken on the evening before I plan to make the pot pie.  That way, on the day when I'm going to cook this for dinner, I can just assemble everything quickly and get it in the oven.  


Until Next Time, 

Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment