Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Monday, June 21, 2021

Making the Switch

Last year in May, I was diagnosed with silent reflux. I began taking pepcid AC nightly to combat some of the affects of this. Over the last few months, the 'silent' part of the reflux stopped being silent and started making itself known. 

I cut back on foods and drinks that could affect the reflux. I stuck to 2 cups of coffee a day (instead of 3 to 4). I didn't eat pepperminty things. I already stayed clear of spicy foods so that wasn't a problem. I eliminated late night snacks (which meant I ate my evening snack a couple hours earlier).

Eventually, I had trouble swallowing food and I'd experience pretty significant pain after eating (sometimes hours afterwards). I also struggled with a fairly consistent sore throat. I knew I probably need to be seen. 

I checked things out with a nurse practitioner at my primary physician's office, and I made an appointment for a gastroenterologist to see what's been going on. I will have the gastro appointment this week and am anxious to get some answers. To prepare for this visit, I've been eliminating foods that exacerbate reflux. I gave up coffee and switched to hot tea. From someone who LOVES my morning coffee, it's weird for me to say that I haven't missed it. The tea has taken its place beautifully. I've also massively reduced the amount of chocolate I eat. I've probably cut it by 98%. The strange thing is I don't really miss it either. Up next on my list to eliminate is fried foods. I'll let you know how it goes. 


Until Next Time, 

Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment