Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Apple Hand Pies

Michael and I got creative in the kitchen last night and whipped up some super simple apple hand-pies!  We happened to have all ingredients on hand, but these would be a cinch to get on a weekly grocery trip also!

We used the recipe that came in the mini cookbook with our Cosori Air Fryer. My changes and/or tips are noted in italics. 


Ingredients:

1 medium apple, peeled and diced into bite size pieces (I diced mine very finely)
2 1/12 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 sheet pre-made pie dough 
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon milk


Directions:
1. Combine the diced apple, granulated sugar, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a medium saucepan or skillet over low-medium heat.  Bring to a simmer. 
2. Simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. 
3. Allow the apples to cool, uncovered at room temperature for 30 minutes. 
4. Cut the pie dough into 5-inch circles (I found a cereal bowl of the right diameter and used that.  I was able to get 4 fairly circular-shaped pieces.)
5. Add the filling to the center of each pie crust circle and use your finger to apply water to the outer ends.  Some filling will be left over (that's what the recipe says, but I divided the filling to give every pie the same amount and I had none leftover.)
6. Crimp the pie shut and cut a small slit on the top (I lightly poked a fork into our pies instead).
7. Select Preheat on the Air Fryer and adjust temperature to 350 degrees, and press Start. 
8. Mix together egg and milk to make an egg wash and brush over top of pies (I did have quite a bit of egg wash leftover). 
9. Place the pies into the preheated air fryer and cook at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, until pies are golden brown. 

Here's my star chef (isn't he adorable?!)




These were so delicious!  My parents came over to bring us some fresh peaches and they both tried a pie.  My mom liked them so much that she says she might request these for a birthday dessert!  If that isn't a seal of approval, I don't know what is!

Until Next Time, 
Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment