Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Hysterectomy

This Monday I had a hysterectomy. I was able to come home on Tuesday and am recovering. 


Back in April I woke up with intense left pelvic pain and even spent several hours of my birthday at Urgent Care. The doctor there asked if I knew I had uterine fibroids, which I didn't know. It took all of May to get an appointment at my general practitioner (I bumped up an appointment for June since I couldn't wait anymore due to nearly constant pain). During May I found out my usual OB/GYN doctor was retiring and I did not want to be handed off to his replacement, who didn't have a good reputation.  

At my appointment with my GP, they said they couldn't do anything but they'd recommend me to an OB/GYN nearby. I had an appointment with this doctor in mid-June & it was determined that I needed to have a hysterectomy due to the fibroids, since I was finished having kiddos. The surgery was scheduled for mid July so that I could partially recover before school began. 

I had my pre-op appointment last week which went well (but long!), and I was scheduled for the first surgery of the day for Monday of this week. I arrived at 5:45 and surgery began around 7:30 and took roughly an hour. I was in my hospital room by 10:00am and was put on a clear liquid diet until Tuesday morning. I also was not able to walk til Tuesday morning, so I wore calf muscle massager leg pieces to keep my blood flowing. Aaron stayed at home overnight at my request so he could get good sleep. I kept the TV on mute all night on HGTV (Love it or List It) or TLC (Say Yes to the Dress) just in case I woke up in the night I could watch a little bit before drifting off to sleep again. On Tuesday early morning I was able to get the leg holders off & walk around. Then I was able to have the IV unplugged and eat an actual breakfast and lunch. I was discharged around 1:30 and made it home shortly after 2pm. I've been resting & recovering since then. 

I have my follow up appointment right before my in-service teacher days begin. I'll be able to practice driving in a week or so, and will be on a weight lifting restriction for a few weeks. 


I'm looking forward to being fully recovered and hopefully being pain free!

My lunch on Monday:


I tried watching Crazy Rich Asians until my DVD player ran out of battery. 


A picture of the leg movers that I took for the kids. 



My real food breakfast on Tuesday! 


Finally going home! 


Today with 2 of my 3 kiddos awake this morning. 



Until Next Time,

Much Love, Reba


No comments:

Post a Comment