Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Hot Pink Cardigan

Sometimes I get complacent. It can happen in my habits-- ie, I'd rather stay home than go anywhere (such a change from my pre-teen and teenage years!). Staying home is nice, but it doesn't bode well for spontaneity, which is the spice of life after all.
 
I'm a planner--I want to know when things are going to happen, where they're going to happen, and what actually is happening. On week nights (especially since Noah and I are not sleeping through the night), I'd rather be home and have a home-cooked meal. I like to be in my own surroundings and in the comfort of my home as a way to instill some peace before embarking on a hard night of putting pacifiers back in, changing diapers with my super-impressive night vision, and oh yeah, feeding a child. However, my husband did the greatest thing the other week. He took me out on a date-- on a Wednesday! Shock!
 
He made the arrangements to take our sons to my in-laws for the evening, and he took me out to dinner (first sushi experience since delivering Noah), then to Academy sports to buy some work pants for him, then to our favorite frozen yogurt place where we cashed in  our "frequent yogurt card" on a free cup of yogurt after buying one!  
 
It was a fantastic time with him. Absolutely fantastic. :) I love him so very much. He took me out of my monotony and showed me that it's ok to do things spontaneously sometimes. We picked up the kids, got home right at their bedtime, and although I was still up twice that night with Noah, I didn't feel like I missed out on any peace! Getting out and about for a while was wonderful.
 
I've tried to apply this spontaneity to my wardrobe and appearance these days. I got to go to Target for some "me" time the other week. I spent some Christmas money and bought some cute clothes (most of them were on clearance and that's how I like to roll). I've often seen certain fashion items and wondered if I could make it work. I decided to try out a couple of these ideas. I bought a black and white Aztec print maxi skirt, a denim shirt dress, and a hot pink cardigan. (I won't wear all three at the same time, mind you!)
 
I stared at the cardigans for the longest time. I didn't see a navy one or a gray one. I almost didn't buy one because I didn't see my go-to colors. If you look in my dresser drawers or in my closet, you will see lots of blue shades. It's my comfort color. However, I knew that I did not need to buy a blue or gray cardigan. I needed something with a little pop! I chose hot pink. By choosing hot pink, I am now forced to pair it with some of my other colored clothes besides just blue all the time.  I also know that I won't just blend in with crowd now-- I'll be wearing a hot pink cardigan! This takes a renewed confidence. I've gotta act like I know what I'm doing and that I'm comfortable with the bright color!
 
I also applied the spontaneity to my appearance. I have been growing my hair out for two years! I was at the point that I didn't know what to do with it anymore. I felt very comfortable with my long hair. It was almost like a curtain to hide behind sometimes. I chose to ask Aaron what style he liked. He pointed out two pictures that we have where my hair was much shorter. I chose to take the plunge and get my hair cut! I called that very day to set up an appointment for that week. Two days later, I went to get my hair cut. I was nervous that Michael wouldn't recognize me! But, lo and behold, he knew exactly who I was! :) I have been learning the best way to style my hair each morning and working out a plan to style it easily once I return to work.
 
I also refreshed my make up supplies. Make up expires- did you know that? It's something I hadn't really paid attention to, but I decided that if I'm putting something on my face, I should make sure it's fresh! I still buy department store brands. I chose some products I hadn't tried out before based on a review I read in a blog by a fellow mom of young ones. She recommended some items, and I decided to try them out. I'm very pleased!
 
All in all, spontaneity has lead me to make some new choices and have a new outlook. It's taught me not to be so uptight about schedules (and I'm still learning!).
 
So, if you see me out and about pushing a toddler in an umbrella stroller while wearing a newborn in a front-pack, I'll probably be in a hot pink cardigan with a cute bob haircut and eyeliner on! Don't worry-- it's still me! Just improved and as busy as ever!
 
_Reba
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment