Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Reflections and Goals


The year 2014 brought one of our greatest joys and it also brought one of our greatest sorrows.

The joy was the birth of our youngest son in January. The delivery was fast and furious but perfect nonetheless. Noah is one of our greatest joys & I am eager to see what plans God has for him. We seriously can't imagine life without Noah and I am so thankful for his arrival.

This weekend, we'll celebrate his first birthday. It's hard to think a year has passed! We are so blessed with him in our lives and we are thankful for the joy and exuberance he exhibits each day. He'll be a handful of a toddler, I'm sure, but we're ready!

The sorrow was found in August when our oldest (not quite two years old at the time) was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. This forever changed our family. We have dealt with more fear, anxiety, stress, trauma, emotional roller coasters, blood sugar roller coasters, sleepless nights, and constant questioning than we ever realized we could go through. In the end, this has made us stronger.

Through the diabetes diagnosis, I lost who I was and was empty for a while but have now found that I am back. I'm different, but I'm stronger and that's okay.

For weeks, I viewed my two year old as a fragile being who I was in charge of not breaking and I was terrified. I wondered if I could ever look at him as a regular boy again. One day in November I realized that I can and I had. Somewhere along the way, I started seeing him as a little boy again and not as diabetes in toddler form.

This past year, my husband and I have grown in our marriage. He has remained my rock and my reminder that God is in control. He is such an even keel kind of guy and I am beyond blessed to be his wife. We laugh together and joke around and come up with silly dance moves in the kitchen. We watch TV shows together while I'm snuggled up under a blanket and he leans on the couch pillows. He plays Xbox after I fall asleep on the couch (at 8:30 sometimes!). Sometimes I catch myself thinking "Wow, we've been married for over 5 years and I feel like we're still dating." We have fun together and that's not something that will change. He's my best friend and he completes me in a way that only God could design.
 

As I look back over 2014 and look into 2015, I’m constantly reminded that God provides.  He’s Jehovah Jireh.  Although we have faced a lot this past year, and will continue to face our share of trials this year, He will never give us more than we can handle with Him.  I never saw type 1 Diabetes coming.  It smacked us in the face and we had to learn to live while reeling in the grief and uncertainty it brought.  I know that we will encounter new things this year with diabetes that will wear us out and keep us guessing.  But I know for certain that I don’t have to wonder who’s in charge.  I know God is holding us, and He’s got an extra tight grip on my sweet little boys—the one with diabetes and the one without.  I trust God to meet our needs this year.  And I know He won’t disappoint.  


Until Next Time,

Much love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment