Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Gettysburg

So, after a review of my camera, I realized I took VERY few pictures in Gettysburg.  I'm talking, like TWO.



These are from the Battlefield.  The top picture shows a group of rocks off to the left.  That's death valley.  Some troops thought it would be a good place to hide, but it turns out that it wasn't so profitable for them after all.

During this day of our travels, it was H-O-T.  Like, being in the South hot.  And we live in the South.  So, to travel up north only to have our heat and humidity follow us was a discouragement.  To see other parts of the battlefield, we could have climbed trails in the woods, but I just wasn't having it.  My headaches were all I could think about on this day, particularly.  The heat, the humidity, and the climbing was enough for me.  We stood on a rocky overpass to take the pictures above.  We passed a really creepy looking Union soldier in costume.  He just kept smiling at everyone.  I'm pretty sure the soldiers didn't do that.

What I didn't take ANY pictures of this day was the Eisenhower Estate.  Seriously, it's one of my absolute favorite places on earth.  Although it was so humid on this day, we still did the tour.  It was fun to walk through the house at our own pace.  Aaron had never been to this part of the country before, so it was a treat to show him places that I really like.  Grandma, Aaron, and I meandered through the house at our discretion and we gazed/gawked at each of the rooms.  We were grateful that our kitchen was more modern than theirs, but I do wish I had a bedroom like Mamie.  Once we were done with the house tour, we chose not to walk up to the barns (hallelujah) and we I booked it back to the tour bus and sat in the AC to wait our return to the Gettysburg Visitor Center.

Side note:  as we waited in line at the Gettysburg Visitor Center to get our tickets to the Eisenhower Estate, some one said "War Eagle" to us!  We turned around, (as all good Auburn fans would), and met a member of our family!  Not our biological family, of course, but a member of our Auburn family!  This sweet lady from Georgia saw Aaron's Auburn shirt and rang out the familial greeting: War Eagle!  We chatted with her for a bit, and then went on our way.  When you come across a member of your family (whether bloodline, or football), you say hello!

Until Next Time,
Much love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment