Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Avery: 6 Months

Avery turned 6 months old on February 20th!  Six months just seems old to me!  I can't believe we're halfway to her first birthday.

In some ways, I start to slip into being sad that the time is going so fast.  But then I remember that I am truly enjoying every age and every stage and that so many good things are still to come!  Although babies are so cute and cuddly, waking up multiple times a night to feed and change diapers in the dark are hard days.  Being limited on how far away I can go from the house before I'm needed back at home to feed are hard days.  They are good days, but they are hard days. The days of freedom are still in my future and still days to look forward to!  As are the days when she will develop her cute little toddle and the days when she'll look at me & her daddy and say "I wuv you."  Those days will be so precious and I'll look back on these baby days with fond remembrance (but probably not accurately remembering the struggles). :)

At her 4 month check up she weighed 13.1 pounds and was 24 inches tall.  She had her 6 month check-up today.  She weighs 15 pounds 10 ounces, and is 26 inches tall.  She is in the 50th percentile for height, weight, and head circumference.  Still a very proportionate little girl.

Clothing: Avery is in 6 month clothing for onesies and pants.  I've started dressing her in 6-9 month pajamas-- again because of length. Although she's middle of the road for her height at the 50th percentile, she still seems tall to me and the 6-month footed pajamas seem too short.  I feel like she's more comfortable with some room in her PJs, so 6-9 month it is!  I'm a little sad that she's transitioning out of her 6 month clothing.  Again, lots of these pieces were bought specifically for her rather than being hand-me-downs.  So it's a little sad that she won't get to wear these pieces for much longer.  On the bright side though, each new group of clothing that she transitions into is always fun to look at and choose from each day.  

Diapers: She's still very comfortably in size 2.    

Sleeping:  She is not very consistent with napping or overnight sleeping.  It's hit or miss whether she'll nap in her crib on the weekends or in the evenings.  About half of the time, we end up holding her during her nap.  Naps can last anywhere from twenty minutes to one hour.  At nighttime, it's been a roller coaster.  She had several nights in a row where she would wake every.two.hours.  Then she'd have a night where she'd go her standard three hours between feeds-- but not a minute more.  Then I got a teaser night of her going from 8:00pm-1:00am and then from 1:15am-4:45am, and waking for the day at 6:20!  I felt like a new woman!  Then the next night was a "wake every 2 hours" night, and the one following that was an every 3 hours night.  Then the following night was another 8pm-1am, 1:15am-5am, then wake at 7:00 for the day.  Last night she went from 8:00pm-10:30pm, then 10:40pm-2:45am, then I fed her at 4:45am so she'd sleep til 7ish.  She made it til 6:30 this morning.  I'm hoping this string of going for more than 3 hours is going to continue.  This is one thing I look forward to in the future-- when she can sleep through the night!

Feeding: She has done so much better with her bottle feedings at my mother-in-law's house during the day while I work.  I'm pumping 3 times a day during the work day and nursing her for any feed for which she's at home.  We have made it through the yellow veggies of baby food.  She liked squash the best, and carrots the least.  She will try green beans or peas next.  We do each veggie by itself for about 4 nights, then move to the next one.  For our pediatrician practice, they recommend yellow veggies, then green veggies, then fruit.  We're having a bit of difficulty finding the green veggies (stage 1, for "supported sitters") in stores.  The local grocery store (which just opened last Thursday!) had one of the two kinds of green veggies, but I can't remember which one.  Our favorite grocery store (about 20 minutes away) didn't have either kind.  We'll see what we end up with when we swing into the local store to grab whichever kind of green veggie they have in stock.  I can't wait to get her on fruits.  I think she'll be so excited. When we're done with a container of baby food, she'll cry a bit but as soon as we pick her up, she's totally fine.  

Tummy Time:  She loves to be on her tummy as long as we position her towards the tags of her tummy-time mat or if we set her Boppy pillow on the floor in front of her with the tags facing her.  She'll examine the tags and of course try to put them in her mouth.  








Habit: She's now started rubbing her own hair when she's nursing or drinking from a bottle.  It's the sweetest thing. 


Aaron & I still just sit and stare at her in the evenings after the boys have gone to bed.  We just can't get over how cute she is and how blessed we are to have her in our lives!  













Until Next Time, 
Much love, Reba




1 comment:

  1. Oh Sweet girl! She does look quite tall in your pictures. And the head rubbing is SO cute, Kippy does that too. Happy half birthday, Avery!

    ReplyDelete