Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Friday, February 23, 2018

Imaginative Play

I highly encourage imaginative play in our house.  It’s a skill that is vastly leaving the generations after us.  When my kids want to play silly games and act out a grand scheme that’s in their heads, I’m all about it! 

Obviously, if you’ve read the blog for any length of time or followed along my Instagram page, you know that Noah is obsessed with garbage trucks.  He even pretends to be one himself!  (This is oddly similar to that scene in Zootopia where the fox dresses like an elephant and Nick is like “this little stinker loves elephants.  Wants to be one when he grows up!”  Well, the same is true in our house except instead of a fox wanting to be an elephant, my son wants to be a garbage truck or garbage man (or both, depending on the hour in which he’s asked). 

My mother-in-law is so crafty, and she set up a garbage truck simulation in her front yard for him.  This is now his game of choice when he goes over to her house.  She has two big garbage cans outside (the previous homeowners left theirs at the house, and she brought hers from her other house which is the standard practice around here).  So one of the cans remains fairly clean and garbage free.  She pulled that can over to her swing set, which is wooden and has a little fort area complete with a three-step ladder.  She set up the can next to that ladder, and stuck a toy broom upside down between the ladder and the fort area.  Noah stands on the stairs pretending like it’s his garbage truck.  Then she rolled over their hose-winder and Noah pretends it's the garbage crusher.  She also bought him kid-sized gardening gloves that he wears for his “garbage man gloves.”  So sweet. 





I’m hoping Noah always continues to use his imagination for greatness and never loses sight of the ability we have to create happiness out of simple things.


Until Next Time,
Much love, Reba


2 comments:

  1. SO CUTE!!!I I'm always so intrigued by those phases with kids when they obsess over something and get super into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Although when he decides that he's "over" garbage trucks, I hope I find something interesting to do with all these garbage truck & can toys!

      Delete