Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Noah's Allergist Appointment

Last week on Tuesday, I took Noah to the allergist clinic for a follow-up appointment.  Since Noah will be starting kindergarten this fall, I had to have a doctor's note stating what he was actually allergic to, and I had to get a medical form indicating that the nurses would have to administer Noah's epi-pen to him if needed (rather than Noah administering it to himself).

The appointment went really well!  It was a dreary, rainy day, so the drive into the city was not fun.  We arrived pretty close to our actual appointment time and we were called back to a room before I even finished filling out the paperwork updates.  Since this was just a follow-up visit because it had been a year since the previous visit, Noah didn't have to have an additional prick test or bloodwork.

The doctor was amazed at how well Noah looked and considered us the poster-family for allergy management.  I'm not sure why this is not more common and why he was surprised that we have not had to use the epi-pen, etc.  I told him that I don't expose Noah to the foods I know he's allergic to and that I avoid the unprocessed foods that he tested positive for on the prick test last year.  So basically, we avoid all cashews and almonds like the plague and Noah completely understands not to go near them or eat them.  Fortunately, he doesn't like the taste of these tree nuts, so we haven't had any issues.  But all family members have chosen not to keep cashews and almonds in their houses, which is a comfort for me.  We have chosen to avoid pecans, walnuts, and hazelnuts also since these are tree nuts and we're not positive if Noah is only allergic to cashews and almonds (which is confirmed) or if he's allergic to all tree nuts.  We do not consider coconuts a tree nut because we did research and discovered that biologically, it is a fruit although we call it a tree nut in the U.S. because it grows on trees.  Noah had not shown a reaction to coconut prior to last year's visit, so that's what prompted our research and we cautiously let him try coconut and he exhibited no signs of allergic reaction.  We have avoided all mangoes and cosmetic items with mango butter in them since mangoes are part of the cashew family.

Noah is also allergic to soy, though not heavily.  However, we notice that he gets a rash on his neck if he eats many things with soy in a day, like Ritz crackers followed by Slim Jims.  So we tell him he can have one of those snacks in a day, but not both.  We also avoid shampoos and lotions with soy in them.  Prior to his diagnosis of these allergies last year, we had been using this Aveeno body wash and shampoo since the Johnson & Johnson baby products have soy in them.  He had done well with the Aveeno, but I didn't like the smell of it.  I kept using it on him however, until very recently when I read another blogger's description of Everyone Soap.  It has no artificial fragrances and no soy products or mango butter.  I tried out the Lemon + Coconut blend first, but Noah hated the smell since he associates the smell of Lemon with throwing up (he got sick from lemon bars last summer).  So I ordered the Citrus + Mint blend for him and it's great!  Both boys use this blend in their showers and Avery uses the Lemon one in her baths.  It's a body wash, bubble bath, and shampoo, which lets me feel safe using it on them for those times when they really just want a bubble bath.  I don't have to worry about getting out another bathroom product and researching ingredients to make sure it's safe for Noah.  It's also nice that it comes in a pump format, so they're able to easily get a pump to wash themselves and I use a pump on their hair.  This helps us keep from going through it so fast and fumbling with soapy bottles while bathing.

Noah tested positive to peanuts and eggs last year, but the doctor told us that the allergy decreases the further the product is removed from it's raw state.  I was shocked at the peanut diagnosis since Noah eats peanut butter and jelly sandwiches as well as scrambled eggs with no reaction.  The doctor told me last year that if we haven't previously noted a reaction, then he's fine to continue with those products and just to avoid eating raw peanuts or raw eggs.  Fortunately, Noah doesn't like raw peanuts, but we've been careful not to have those in the house as well.  As for eggs, Noah can still eat scrambled eggs and also has no reaction when we use eggs in brownies or cookies, etc.  But I do not give him licks of batter or dough, which is just as well anyway.

Overall, the appointment went really well.  I have my two required papers showing Noah's diagnosis and that he will need a nurse to administer the epi-pen (which hopefully we never have to use!).  The nurses at school are top notch and I feel safe sending him there under their care.  Before leaving the allergy clinic, we scheduled an appointment for next year (it's so nice to be able to know I'll be off in the summer!) and he might have another prick test or blood work at that appointment to find out if any of his allergy levels have decreased or disappeared.

Until Next Time,
Much love, Reba




No comments:

Post a Comment