Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Silent Reflux

At the beginning of May, I had an appointment with a new (to me) doctor.  I had been toying with the idea of switching practices for a while, but needed an extra push to actually go for it.  That "push" came in the fall when my former doctor's office continually misfiled my labwork and consistently miscommunicated within the office about my prescription, which resulted in me getting incorrect bills and redundant phone calls. 

I called the new (to me) doctor in January and found out that she didn't have an opening for a new patient until May, so I made the appointment anyway.  Then the pandemic hit our part of the world and I kept the appointment still.  I am so glad I did!  This doctor's office and I hit it off instantly.  The staff is top notch and the doctor herself is so friendly, warm, and welcoming.  Of course we were both masked during the whole appointment, so I still don't know 100% what her actual whole face looks like, but she's still friendly! 

Since it was a new patient appointment, it was kind of like a whole physical in a way.  I will have my thyroid issues handled there, so I'll make use of the lab there when it's time for my blood to be drawn.  As I'm filling out the paperwork and describing generally how I've been feeling, she diagnosed me with silent reflux.  I hadn't been going in there to get a diagnosis, but can I just say how much of a relief it was to actually have these random things join up together to mean something?! And to have that "something" be treatable?!  It was a great feeling! 

Over the course of the past year or so, I started having these very odd things happen at random times and I thought they were all disconnected and meant over-stress or something that would eventually pass.  My symptoms included random chest pains (either covering my whole chest or just my left side), a constant sore throat, losing my voice twice within two months, feeling like something was stuck in my throat often, a dry cough occasionally, difficulty breathing when eating, trouble getting food to go down my throat, waking up at random intervals at night (and not necessarily due to Michael's CGM alarms waking me), clearing my throat, and feeling like I had a runny nose or a runny nose drip down my throat.  Apparently these things combined equals silent reflux.  It's nearly the same as heartburn but without the burning sensation, so I didn't know it was happening.  If left untreated, it can damage my vocal cords and esophagus.

To help treat it and help prevent more damage, I take an acid reducer (like over-the-counter Pepcid) at night so that it doesn't interact with my thyroid med.  I also have reduced caffeine (one to two cups of coffee rather than 3+) and limited (if any) caffeine throughout the day. I've also been advised to limit chocolate (I'm working on this and I think I'm doing okay.  Kind of.), fried foods, late night snacking, peppermint (I'm guessing toothpaste doesn't count?), tomato sauces, etc.  I also take care not to lie down right after eating, and rather try to stay upright for 2-3 hours after meals and snacks.  Since I know what I have now, I am better about noticing when it's happening and can try to take the necessary precautions so additional damage isn't done. 

After talking with others, I have found that many moms go through silent reflux probably due to the added stress of raising little ones and striving to always be our best and put our best face forward and beating ourselves up when we fall short of our own standards.  I'm working on this and am so thankful to have the summer months ahead of me where I can focus on giving grace freely-- to myself also.

Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment