Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Monday, April 20, 2020

Foyer Light Update

In the process of making our home exactly how we'd like it to be, I really wanted to change out the foyer light.  The house was built in 2000 and really did look like it.  The year 2000 was piggy-backing off of the trends of the '90s-- lots of yellow gold light fixtures.  In fact, we still have four ceiling fans that are accented in yellow gold that I'd eventually like to change out or at least paint over the faux gold parts.

The foyer light was a glass chandelier with yellow gold accents, chains, and ceiling medallion.  I've never been a fan of it but haven't looked into changing it until this year.






Aaron and I have been looking for a foyer light on Amazon and in Home Depot (pre-quarantine) for the last four months or so.  I'd find a light that I liked but it wouldn't appeal to him.  Then he'd find a light he liked and it wouldn't be my taste.  So we've had three or so lights saved in our Amazon cart, and I've also priced out similar models in Home Depot (again, pre-quarantine) and had a few pictures on my phone camera roll of lights we semi-agreed on.  :)

After being home for weeks on end, the bug just finally got to me that I really wanted to change out this light fixture since I would be seeing this light for who knows how many more months on end?  I was reading a random blog post about someone's guest room make-over and they hadn't chosen a light fixture yet, but had said that they were contemplating a wooden beaded chandelier.  Something clicked and I knew this was the direction I wanted to head.

I've been a fan of wooden beaded chandeliers but never really thought I could find a space to put them in my home since we're die-hard ceiling fans in the bedrooms kind of people.  I'm not sure why I never viewed out foyer as having the potential to hold a wooden beaded chandelier, but I'm so glad the thought made it's way to my mind.  I began pursuing these chandeliers on Amazon, keeping in mind that I had a strict budget I wanted to stick to.  I detest spending more than $100 on a light fixture and I absolutely wanted to make sure it was less than $114 which is how much the latest light fixture cost that Aaron liked.  I also didn't really want the light fixture to be too big.  My goal is to keep the living room looking light and open, so I didn't want to weigh it down with a huge fixture.


I found a chandelier I liked.  It was on the smaller side, which also meant a smaller price tag (and under $114!).  It had white wooden beads and a slate-gray metal band and chain, which would coordinate well with our front door.  I told Aaron that's the fixture I wanted and he was on board.  I ordered it and it arrived last week.  On Saturday, Aaron's friend and coworker helped him install it since a tall ladder would be involved and I'm no good at electrical work or being very helpful or effective at steadying a ladder. :)

I LOVE the way it turned out.  It does hang lower than the previous light, which I thought would be an issue but the ceiling is so high in the room that it works out well and is still much higher than Aaron's head, so I feel like it will be fine.  The boys flipped out and loved it so much that they said it looked like we lived in a whole new house.  Well okay then. :)






Now that I've had Aaron install four light fixtures in the past two months, I'll probably hold off on changing out our laundry room light or painting the accents in the rooms with the yellow-gold fans. :)

Our next projects will be huge.  So huge that neither I nor Aaron will tackle them alone.  So we're bringing in a contractor.  We plan to remodel our master bath (something we've talked about since buying the house 4 years ago), and to repair our deck boards outside since the deck is several years old and the boards are rotting.  We're playing outside almost everyday (weather permitting) and need to make sure it's a safe space for kids to run around.  We'll be signing contracts on the work that we want done and it'll get started in late May and be done by early June.  The time will pass anyway, so I guess it's wise to make improvements that we'll see a return on whenever we do sell one day.


Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba


No comments:

Post a Comment