Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Not Exactly How I Planned My Monday

I have a love-hate relationship with Slime.  I love how excited my kids are to play with it, but I hate everything else about it.  I hate the way it smells.  I hate its texture.  I hate how it changes texture overtime.  I hate the sounds it makes.  Etc. Etc. Etc. 

But because I love my children and I love seeing joy in their eyes and on their faces, I bought a 6-pack of slime in the party-favor section of Target way back in February.  I planned to bring it as a surprise to our beach rental house but once the vacation was cancelled, I got out the slime and let the kids play with it at home.  They've done a pretty good job of keeping it at the table and bottling it back up when they're finished.  Then we store it far back on the kitchen counter so Avery can't get it without our permission.  On Monday, Michael asked to play with slime while I was doing some school-work and after he had finished his school work.  I agreed and he was elated!  

Not long afterwards, Avery asked it she could play too.  Sure, no problem, I thought.  I was at the table with them and could see her playing with it.  I saw her lift it up to her hair but I didn't think anything more about it because I assumed it would be the slippery texture it normally is.  Then I heard a very gross "rip" sound and looked over at her to see that she had tried to pull the slime out of her hair but had only managed to get a quarter-sized amount which proceeded to rip out hair in the process.  I knew if I didn't get to her right away, that she'd pull the whole mass out and rip her hair and most likely her scalp too.  

Once I got to her head, I realized the slime had seized up and was no longer slippery but massively sticky.  She had massaged her hair into her slime and it was all tangled up and layered within itself. 


I quickly took off her shirt and pants and grabbed mayonnaise and then Googled "how to get slime out of hair" to make sure that mayo would work.  I kneaded the mayo all into the slime and worked on it for a few minutes to get it out of her hair.



Then I gave her a bath to rinse the mayo out of her hair.  Of course she had just had a bath the day before, which is why she's in a Ninja Turtle towel here-- because her own towel was in the wash.


I then combed out her hair to make sure the slime was all the way out.


So we ended the ordeal with Avery having some very-conditioned hair which will probably warrant another rinse-out tonight.  She also had a slight bald area on her head where the slime got some of the hair.

This certainly wasn't how I intended by Monday to go.  At lunchtime.  When food is in the oven.  And Michael's blood sugar is dropping to "near-low" levels.  Did I mention it was Monday?!?

So.... things can only get better from here.

Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba




1 comment: