Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Monday, July 6, 2015

A Frugal Fourth

I'm trying my very first "Link-Up" today through the Frugal Crafty Blog Hop (found at Making it in the Mountains)! 

I love decorating for holidays, but strangely haven't really decorated much for the Fourth of July before.  I figured this year was the perfect year to start!

I kept it simple and frugal.  Here's a peek at some of the decor:

I made this wreath myself from items I bought at Hobby Lobby.  I intend to leave it hanging for a while longer-- after all, nothing quite says summer like red, white, and blue.  For the wreath, I used a styrofoam wreath and I covered it in navy chevron burlap ribbon (on sale!).  I meandered through the scrapbooking section of the store to find the dark red burlap flower.  I tied some white thread to it and that was it!  Super easy and I'm really happy with how it turned out!


On Thursday, I swung into the local grocery store really quickly to pick up some fresh flowers to scatter throughout my home.  Our house is on the market and my mother-in-law told me that fresh flowers sell houses more than the smell of fresh baked cookies.  I took that tip and ran with it.  Fortunately, the patriotic bouquets were on sale for $5.00 a piece.  I picked up two of them and divided them up.  I didn't want to have one or two huge arrangements, so I decided to split the two bouquets four ways.  I started with a small collection of the tri-colored flowers and stuck them in a re-purposed Starbucks coffee drink bottle.  This bouquet I set on the kitchen counter.


Next, I tucked some of the white daisies in another re-purposed Starbucks coffee drink bottle, and I placed this vase in the master bath.  The bath is white & gray themed, and the white daisies fit in perfectly.


Next, I made a bouquet of just blue daisies to put in my oldest son's beach-themed bedroom.  I cut the stems pretty short and stuck them in a re-purposed pickle jar.


Finally, I gathered some of the red-hued flowers and put them in my youngest son's Detroit Red Wings themed bedroom.  This smaller bouquet fit perfectly in a re-purposed jelly jar.


We had family over for dinner on Friday night in celebration of Independence Day since most of us would be busy on Saturday.  For dessert, I chose to go with a patriotic theme.  Angel food bundt cake, cool whip, strawberries, and freshly picked blueberries.  Red, white, and blue? Don't mind if I do. 


I hope you've enjoyed this peek at our Fourth of July decorations!

Links to other frugal crafty finds can be found here at Making it in the Mountains.

Thanks for stopping by!

Until Next Time,
Much love,
Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment