Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Friday, November 10, 2017

Post Natal Workouts

I've been trying to be consistent with my postnatal workouts. I still do the Leslie Sanstone walking DVDs about twice a week or more. I like to do those DVDs because I know that I can do it. I don't get intimidated by them as much as I get intimidated by the P90X3 workouts, which I've done in the past. When I was in my postnatal time after Noah I did the P90X3 workouts and I lost a super amount of weight. I also lost all of my breastmilk supply. So I learned my lesson not to go overboard in the exercise department while I am nursing.

This time I decided to just stick with the walking DVDs and also to do the postnatal boot camp from Lindsay Brin's Moms Into Fitness program. I like the Moms Into Fitness brand because it's obviously geared towards moms, and Lindsay understands the mom body and how moms are looking to get rid of the extra pooch around the midsection.

There's lots of different programs I could choose with the postnatal boot camp, but I'm working on the 12-week program right now. I could choose to just mix and match, or just do random intervals, or do the quick 10-minute workouts. I'm choosing to go through her 12-week program for better consistency. I'm on week 2 of doing the specific exercises she has put together for that part of the program. I'm hoping that by doing the 12 week program, it serves as a motivational tool for myself because I'll have a clear deadline.

Aaron has also gotten into the walking DVDs with me which is really cool. He has had knee problems in the past and he admitted the other week that his knee has really been bothering him lately. So he doesn't feel like it's the most responsible decision to do the P90X3 workouts right now because they're really intense. Doing a super intense workout like that would only serve to re-injure his knee. Since he does not have any days off of work left to take this year, we have to wait until the new year for him to have knee surgery. So until it's January, we have to kind of take it easy on the exercise for him, and the walking DVDs are a good alternative. We always pick the four-mile or five-mile option. And while we're walking we chat with each other, so it's really fun.  

During my postpartum time with Noah, which was really when we started to get into exercising consistently for the first time, we did the whole P90X3 workouts together every single night. So since we can't do that this time around because of his knee and because of my fear of losing my breastmilk supply, it's been fun to get back into a workout routine of any kind with him again. So if it means that it has to be the walking DVDs this time instead of P90X3, that's okay with me. 

I've kind of plateaued on my weight loss. I weigh less now than I did when I got pregnant with Avery, but it's still about 15 to 20 lbs heavier than I was when I got pregnant with Michael and Noah. I'm trying to remind myself that Avery is only two and a half months old, so I still have plenty of time to lose that extra weight. With Michael, it took me about a solid 9 months after he was born to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight. With Noah it took less time than that, but again, I was working out really intensely and lost my supply because of it. I've heard from other moms that their body hangs onto the last like 10 to 15 lbs while they're nursing. And after they wean their babies, those pounds just come right off. So it's almost like the body's way of guaranteeing that you're not going to starve yourself while you're trying to breastfeed your baby. So I don't know if that's what my body is doing because it didn't do that before. I'm just trying to remind myself that it took 9 months after Michael was born to get back down to my original weight, so I'm anticipating this time that it might take 9 months.

I'm also not doing the absolute best job that I could be doing with my nutrition. I've been pretty darn good about it, but I need to ramp up my self-control. If I make cookies, which is semi rare now, I will eat some of the cookie dough and then I will eat several cookies after they are baked. 


I also had a lapse in judgement recently when I bought Reese's pumpkins during the Halloween candy sales in stores. So now that those are removed from my pantry, I obviously won't struggle with craving them. I think if I did a better job of making sure I was eating only whole foods, I would see a difference in my weight. And it's not so much about a number that I'm looking to get back to; it's more about how I feel in my clothes. I want to be able to fit into all of my clothes comfortably. So although I am back in my pre-pregnancy jeans, I would like them to fit just a little bit looser, and I don't want to have tummy pudge hanging over the top of them. I would like to be able to choose jeans as my bottoms for the day, because right now I'm choosing to wear pajama pants or sweatpants as my bottoms if I'm going to be home during the day. And this is only because the pajama pants and the sweatpants are more comfortable to wear. I want to get back to a point where jeans are comfortable to wear.

I'm also making sure that I'm drinking a whole lot of water during the day. This helps aid my breastmilk supply, and it also helps keep me full. So unless I treat myself to a coffee from Starbucks, I'm not drinking any carbs. I'll drink water, my fenugreek tea, my Mother's Milk tea, and plain black coffee. 

Hopefully I'll be able to have a post in a couple months where I can say that I'm no longer on this plateau. These posts help motivate me to keep working towards the change that I want to see.

Until Next Time,
Much Love, Reba



No comments:

Post a Comment