Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Pumpkin Carving

About a week after we picked our pumpkins, we spent time on a Sunday afternoon carving them. The weather was really nice for the occasion! Each kid got to use a Sharpie marker to outline their design idea. 

Aaron and I cut out the top part by the stem and let the kids choose whether or not they wanted to help scoop out the insides. Noah & Avery were all about it! Michael decided to let me handle it. :) Each kid got to help carve their actual design a little bit. 

I heard Noah say "Hey watch how far I can throw this!" and before I knew what actually occurred, he had tossed his pumpkin lid into the woods of our backyard. So we let it be and he was fine with no lid. "It lets more light out that way," he confidently said and I cannot disagree. :) 

We displayed our pumpkins on our front walkway but I forgot to spray them with a vinegar solution until about the third day outside. Coupled with our very warm October weather, the pumpkins didn't last a week once carved. I didn't even actually get around to buying any lights to put inside of them before they rotted. Oh well. Better luck next time. 




I told the kids I'd make my pumpkin a scene from one of our favorite fall books, "Room on the Broom," and I kept my word. 



Michael wanted his pumpkin to have triangle eyes and a very sharp mouth. Mission accomplished. 


Avery, in true "Avery" fashion, carried her pumpkin around so much that it ended up breaking, and she was totally fine with that. She also added extra Sharpie marks while I was carving mine. She'd say "Don't look at me" when she was about to make extra markings-- so I was always aware of what she was doing. :) 


Noah wanted his pumpkin's eyes and nose drawn on but not carved out. His pumpkin mouth was to be very pointy. 


Aaron actually never got around to finishing his. He cut the back square out and scooped out the insides, and planned to come back when his Dremel was charged but didn't get around to it and his pumpkin rotted in the mean time. It just wasn't our year. :) 


Until Next Time, 

Much Love, Reba


No comments:

Post a Comment