Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Saturday, September 4, 2021

August Birthdays

We had two parties in August for our birthday babies. Both of the parties were on the actual birthdays of my August kiddos. This was partly due to their birthdays both being on weekend days, and because we just had family over instead of big parties including school friends, etc. Both of my August kids had repeat themes to their party so I had lots of supplies and decorations from previous years. 

Avery requested a unicorn cake with pink & purple decorations. She wanted a pink cake, so I made a cherry jello poke cake which definitely gave a bright pink appearance to the top of the cake layers, but the jello didn't sink all the way through like I thought it would. Avery liked it though and that's what mattered the most. I reused unicorn decorations which I strung from the fan. Publix had some additional unicorn decor like themed paper plates, a tiny unicorn piƱata, and unicorn sprinkles. Avery had an awesome party & showed pure excitement with every gift. This was a very special party because it was the last one that Popa attended. It will forever hold special memories. 














Michael wanted a Mario cake in a slightly different theme than previous cakes. This year he wanted a "Paper Mario Color Splash" themed cake. The game referenced is a 2-d drawing of Mario and characters. Instead of trying to accurately create this ourselves, Aaron & I decided to look up an edible fondant cake sheet that could be customized. I created a very basic compilation of Paper Mario items (following Michael's lead on how he wanted it to look) and I uploaded this to my Etsy order. I requested that the cake topper also say "Happy Birthday Michael." When it arrived (very quickly might I add!) I was so impressed because the shop owner put the phrase Happy Birthday, Michael in a Mario font! I was expecting it to be written in a very basic font but I was so pleasantly surprised at the extra effort given! This cake was a surprise to Michael & he was so impressed! That makes it so worth it to me. 

He had a great party. My older brother & his family came into town and I kept this a surprise for Michael so that he would have cousins at his party to play with.  He received lots of books & some games and his joy was evident in every gift opened. This was our first birthday celebration without Popa and it will forever hold memories because of our transition into how we weave together grief & still hold celebrations for life events.  We were so blessed to have Nana attend and it was good to have extra family time with both brothers, my sister-in-law and nephews, Nana and my mom and my in laws. 














And now we begin the September birthday string starting on Monday!

Until Next Time,

Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment