Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Peppermint Cookies

Noah & I got adventurous in the kitchen last night and whipped up a new (to us) recipe! Years & years ago (maybe pre-kids) I saved these magazine cutouts of various cookies. Yesterday I opened my recipe box looking for something new to try, and the Peppermint Cookie recipe seemed simple enough & I had all the ingredients on hand! Noah was pleased to help me mix everything up and scoop the cookies onto the trays. He was also impressed with how they turned out at the end with the additional crushed candy canes on top!



Ingredients:

- 3/4 c shortening (it called for butter flavored but I just used regular)

-1/2 c packed brown sugar 

-1/2 c granulated sugar 

-2 tablespoons milk 

-1 tablespoon vanilla extract

-1 large egg

-2 c all purpose flour

-1 teaspoon salt

-3/4 teaspoon baking soda 

-3/4 c crushed candy canes, divided (9 regular candy canes or 36 Peppermint hard candies)


Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. 

2. Crush candy canes in a gallon bag. Set aside. 

3. Beat first five ingredients in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. 

4. Add in the egg and beat until incorporated. 

5. In separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix these ingredients into the shortening mixture on low speed until blended. 

6. Stir in 1/2 c of the crushed peppermints.

7. We scooped out 6 dollops of dough per cookie sheet and rolled those dollops into 1 inch balls. 

8. Bake for 10 minutes (adding 2 minutes if cookies aren't quite done enough). 

9. Once cookies are out of oven, carefully Sprinkle a tiny bit of the remaining crushed candy canes onto the tops of the hot cookies. Let them cool for a few minutes on the pan before transferring to cooling racks to cool completely. 

10. Enjoy! These are so pretty for the holidays! 


Until Next Time,

Much Love, Reba


No comments:

Post a Comment