Welcome!

Welcome to a piece of our sweet journey of life. This blog is about our family life-- my husband, my type 1 diabetic sixth grader, my spunky fourth grader, my first grader little girl, and myself! Enjoy!

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Resistance to Change, But Finding the Joy There

I'm a creature of habit.  Once I have things the way I want them, I rarely change.  When I do, I almost always pine for the way things were.  This is why I'll go two to three years without a hair cut (without even a hair trim).  This is why the rooms in my house rarely see any furniture rearranges.  This is why the pictures on my walls remain in place until I move and why the bare walls are left bare.  It's because I dread change.  

In Candace Cameron Bure's book Staying Stylish, she talks about how she's not afraid to change her haircut or hair color because it always grows back and each new style opens up new pieces of her personality and lets certain traits and characteristics shine through.  I also recently read a news article on why it's important to rearrange the furniture in rooms of our home.  It's because it gives us control over an area when the rest of our lives experience so many things that are out of our control.  This is probably the same reason why I don't change things-- because I want to maintain control in one area since so much is left to reasons outside of my hands.  

I wish I liked change.  I wished I enjoyed getting my hair cut or rearranging furniture.  I wish I enjoyed taking a chance and going on a short trip during this Christmas break with my kiddos even if it meant I have to go sans any other adult helper.  I wish I enjoyed taking a chance on myself and buying the jeans that fit or the jump rope that looks fun, etc.  But I don't.  I maintain the status quo and I live there.  

However, sometimes this means that I'm hesitant to embrace the change of others even when it has nothing to do with me.  Someone I admire just got a new job in a new location and I'm excited for this person but equally nervous.  I want it to work out so well and for him to be ultimately successful and happy.  I'm praying that it all works to the good of God because that's what He promises He'll do for those who love Him.  This person has made such great strides in the last few months of really seeking Jesus and making friends who seek Him also.  I'm in his corner rooting for him and it means that I will need to step out of my own comfort zone of status quo and be excited for the changes to come.  

P.S.- this person is my younger brother and I'm super proud of him.  

Until Next Time, 
Much Love, Reba

No comments:

Post a Comment